1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Traben Array

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AlphaMale, Mar 8, 2008.

1. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
  2. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    I do not suggest the Dean or the ESP, as I've played all three and the Traben has some good bang for the buck and all of the other Trabens I played I've loved.

3. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    It looks like there are a few halfway decent basses out there for ~$300.

I'd give these a look, too:

The OLP Stingrays seem to have a lot of fans around here:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/OLP-MM3-with-Flamed-Maple-Top-5String-Bass?sku=516076

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/OLP-MM2-with-Flamed-Maple-Top-Bass-Guitar-?sku=516075

Peavy also gets a lot of bang-for-the-buck reports:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Millennium-4-AC-BXP-4String-Bass?sku=511400

The Epiphone T-birds are decent, too, but I'd play one first and see if you like it. The ergonomics aren't for everyone.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Thunderbird-IV-Bass?sku=518391

The Goth model is the same price and has a slightly different look.

Don't forget Squier...they've got a lot of fans lately. The Vintage Modified basses have a pretty good reputation. They're not real "metal" looking, but hey, Tim C from Rage Against The Machine uses one that looks a lot like it...
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-70s-Jazz-Bass?sku=519639

This one looks a little more "metal," and has a P-J pickup configuration...ought to be good for a wide variety of sounds.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Standard-P-Bass-Special-Edition?sku=519630

Don't forget Ebay or the classifieds here, either--you can get a like-new bass for that much that would cost a lot more new.

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    A absaloutly love my Traben, its my main axe, but try one first if possible, they have a bad rep around here, but are IMO amazing bang for buck and quality overall.

5. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Of all those basses I'm interested in the OLP. But I'm scared because they're so cheap compared to MM's. It's like what's wrong with them.

6. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    I should mention I want to play progressive style bass, I want to be able to play smooth jazz style bass, and slapping. So the frets of the Jazz bass don't suit me.

7. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    sorry but no.
    just no.

all three of those styles have been done (hell, they all may well have been invented) on a Jazz.

i have a hard time believing that anyone looking for a great player for under 300 bucks is really going to make use of 4 extra frets.
    that said, it's your money. but Larry Graham invented slapping on a Jazz. many many many progressive bassists use Jazz's, and... it's not called a Jazz for nothing.
    do yourself a favour and don't rule out a Jazz just yet.
    IMO

8. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    i think i have played that bass or one simalar. can't remember if it had the neck pup pictured or a jazz pup. it feels heavy, and it it string through. sound not my ideal sond, but it is does sound descent. it hass very nice playability

9. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    you have a great point. I'll try it out.

10. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Larry Graham invented slapping? And on a jazz? No, no, no, no, no. :p

11. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Does anyone know why I shouldn't get the Traben? (I'm going to try it out first, but before get the money for it and everything)

12. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    No reason, try it. If you like them, they are great value for money.

13. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    BUMP, please more info.

14. 23travis

23travis

Sep 11, 2007
    Vegas, Baby!
    I almost bought one, but just found an axe used that I liked the tone on a little better.

For the money, the only other one I can think of that I would buy is that OLP MM

15. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    You want to play smooth jazz on that Traben, but you're not wanting the VM Jazz Bass? Ooookay... :)

The OLP Stingray's probably your best bet at that price and for what you're saying you want to play, I think.

16. tokin20deuce

tokin20deuce

Oct 17, 2007
    I wouldn't bother with the Traben. I had an Array Limited and it gave me nothing but headaches. it had a nice feel and great sustain, but perma fret buzz, all over. I tried to get it worked on, and the truss rod wouldn't turn, so i was basically screwed. all in all, in my opinion, Trabens are gimmick basses. maybe my particular model was defective but i wouldn't wanna have someone else go thru the frustration i did without at least putting my two cents in. good luck whatever u decide.

17. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Every time I go into Steve's music in Toronto I pick up one of those Traben's. It's really not the bass for me as it is extremely treblely, almost metalic sounding. Since you're looking for something that can do progressive rock and jazz I have go with what the other guys are saying and check out that Squier or the OLP.

Ultimately with Basses, if you have the cash and can settle with something gently used you need to check out the for sale section on this forum. Most of the people here are gear crazy and treat their stuff really well. I'm sure you could snag a bass here that was $700 or $800 brand new for that $300 price limit. This nice thing about buying a bass used is there is very little that can go wrong with the bass aside from a broken truss rod, a lose pot or a couple body dings. If you get something and it's got a bad solder it's a $5 fix as opposed to a used amp that can be a major headache if it's been well used.

Make sure to at least browse through the for sale section before checking out that Traben.

18. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    I seriously want to play everything. But yeah I played it it has a great sound but it's almost too defined.

19. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Flats will even that out, that pure definition helps with tap, chordal and solo playing IMO.