Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Traben basses - any experiences?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sekator, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Sekator

Sekator

Nov 25, 2004
    Traben Bass Website

has anyone ever owned or actually played any of these? I love the look and the massive brass bridge...but was wondering whether the tone is actually there...

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    PLayed one. Didn't like it. Bad tone.

3. Sekator

Sekator

Nov 25, 2004
    Thanks man, that's what I wanted to know...I guess it's back to saving for a Spector Legend 5-string for me....

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    hehehe....you must have seen the post at bassgear.com also.

I did some background checking on them. Nothing special. Average quality. I think you are paying for the looks. If these basses looked "normal", they would cost about $300-350.

-Mike

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Haha. It was just bleh. No real definition. It lacked any highs at all, and the thump was very weak. Go for the Legend.

6. Sekator

Sekator

Nov 25, 2004
    OK, OK, I get the message ;)

No more looking at Trabens for me.

7. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Wow....I dont agree, I love my traben, I get great sound out of it, huge sustain, and great feel. I play metal so maybe thats why, but my traben smokes. The pickups are really ass heavy though, lots of lows and mids....doesnt seem muddy to me though.

8. Sekator

Sekator

Nov 25, 2004
    Which model do you have? I looked at their website and all their models seem to have identical specs, outside of the size of the bridge and the finish...

9. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    I have the pheonix 5 string, its the one with the fretboard inlays and largest bridge.

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the one i played was heavy like a rock, but didnt have the tone to make me put up with the weight. extremely average.

11. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    Made In China right?

12. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    I still dont get why everyone is putting the basses down and just pushing them to the side.

13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.

I'd wait for more opinions before calling it quits. Also, there was a sizeable Traben thread on here not too long ago.

14. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    What up Boulder? how's that copley doing? mine still needs "tweaking", but i love it.

I have been looking at the Traben. saw one for the first time on a Musician's Friend Ad. i don't know if anyone realizes but they look like they are built by the same company as Micheal Kelly Guitars.

they both have this "tribal sun" model.

as for sound i have no idea. i've been looking around out of curiosity. i mean they look bitch'n, but....anyway to the poster of the thread. Dude, think about this fact, many bases that are purchased get aftermarket pickups. how many have bought a bass for a few hundred to the ones in the $$$ catagory and still changed the pups. so i say this, getting your most for your dollar is what is important. but if tone is an issue, look at the woods and construction methods on the axe. chances are maybe only the PUPS suck. how many companies have good instruments, but crummy PUPS?

if you want a suggestion for a nice affordable 5'er go to the local music store and try a OLP sting ray. i almost bought one from guitar center in the south side of Chicago...then i saw something that reminded me why i don't like that place. never bought the bass, but if i was in the market again i would still give it another run. you want some other names? how about two that won't ever be the first ones you hear, but are worth checking out? i have two: Samick (greg bennette [knows that is spelled wrong] line) and Hohner.

15. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    This is an old thread I know, but just incase someone's still looking... I have the Traben Phoenix 4, and here in the UK for the price I paid there's really very little else better I could have gotten. It's really versatile, very comfortable to play, and the sustain is incredible. The only thing about this bass is the preamp, it's not even the pickups - The preamp is pretty cheapy, but if you put a new one in it'd sound a beast. I think you should at least go and try one out!
    And it is heavy - Not unbearable, I've played heavier, but it'd help to have a 2 1/2" strap.

16. How much was your Traben? and where did you get it? in the UK, do they do Passive ones if the preamp sucks?

17. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I got it from USA for abot £350 with shipping and hardcase, would have been about £220 without. The other bass I was thinking about was a P-bass special, which was more expensive. They're pretty evenly matched, the Traben weighs more, but it's more versatile. I don't think they do passive versions, but taking a look at the control cavity it doesn't look like it'll be too hard to wire in a new preamp. There are sockets on the preamp and you can simple unplug it.

18. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    The preamp actually isnt that bad really, but can be easily replaced. Trabens are beautiful instruments and play great.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ROFL. One bad comment, and you're off to something else. You know, there's a whole thread on "Not impressed with Sadowsky." Better stay away from those, too. WRT the Traben, they look like something that came out of the Teutul's shop, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

20. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    The look is a matter of taste - Some say it's over the top, some say it's awesome. Just a matter of opinion. The first time I took it into the public was when I was trying out a Crate Bx100 in the local music shop. I didn't buy the amp in the end 'coz it weighed so much, but the sound was fantastic, and everyone who came into the shop commented on how awesome it looked. Age is also an issue - If you were over 40 it might not be so great an idea to ues this bass, but being a teenager myself it suits me just fine.
    If anyone wants sound samples or pics I could do my best to sort something out