Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Traben Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DryWater'Bass, Mar 28, 2004.

1. I found these basses on Music123.com tonight, all I could say was b-e-a-utiful....The Phoenix series stood out, because of the flame inlay and the Inferno bridge, I've been looking into basses with MM+J configurations, and these things have that and a 3 band EQ...The price is a little less than a comparable MTD basss, with added Active Electronics, and a beautiful finish, my favorite of the bunch...Solarburst.The blood red, black shadow and the burnt orange are all gorgeous....For the Phoenix 4 the list price I've found is 749, thier second to the Top-of-the line....The price you can buy them for is about 540....

Specs:

Body Wood- Basswood with Quilt Maple Top
    Neck- 5 Piece Maple and Walnut
    Scale Length- 35" scale
    Fingerboard- Rosewood 24 fret
    Bridge Design- The Inferno
    Pickups- Traben Custom Combo
    Pre-Amp- Traben T3 Active
    Nut- Chrome Plated Brass
    Inlay- Phoenix Flame Inlay
    Construction- Bolt-on, special Traben neckjoint
    Hardware Color- Chrome

2. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    one of my local stores had one of those. they do look pretty cool, although i bet they weigh alot.

3. Do a search for Traben. I posted about them a while ago, and someone gave a really good answer and some info about the builder.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I played, but did not plug in, one at a local store. The way it played and sounded did not make me want to plug it in.

Just my opinion.

5. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
  6. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    thats the harley of basses, no effence to any harley lovers out there. :p

7. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Strange you should put it that way, because the one I played sounded liek a Harley. That or a Peterbuilt.... :D

8. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    those look awesome.

9. I've got a couple of stings, maybe wanting to buy my pendragon, which will enable me to get the Phoenix 4 in Solarburst....I'm extremely excited...I think it'll have an awesomely versatile sound, with a lot of boom boom....

10. I kinda dig em. They look mean, and have lots of shiny chrome...and i love that. Total rock & roll :D
    Prices look half decent too.
    Id love to try one out.

11. I'll have one soon...I'm sure of it....If you lived anywhere near me, I'd be glad to let you come and play it...I read on here earlier, because of the mass of the bridge it's super heavy, but the resonance was amazing...

12. I like heavy basses myself. But im nowhere near you...so ill have to wait till i find one in a shop. :D
    Thanks for the offer though.

13. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Yea, they're really like hanging a Cadillac door around your neck. It's heavy, shiny and pretty groovy. They are really, really solid. I really don't think I can over-state how heavy these things are. If you don't like heavy basses, you're missing out a bit, but don't bother. Forget cabs, playing this all night is enough to throw your back out ;)

14. Rob Infinite

Rob Infinite

Aug 13, 2005
    I have actually owned two of these basses. A 4 string Torrent which I've sold and I presently own a 4 string Phoenix. I love them. I love the feel and the tone. I plan to purchase an Array Premium in the near future.

15. I've always heard nothing but praise for the appearence (gawdy IMO) and nothing about the tone. I have heard that they tend to sound a bit generic, and have got no specific "voice" whatsoever. But, that is just what I've heard, I have yet to test one myself.

~Ryan

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If you're really trying to decide between a Traben and a MTD.

GET THE MTD.

17. Personally, I can't stand the looks of them. They make me think of some 15 year old, in a horrible grunge/metal band (nothing against grunge/metal). I don't like the metal flames. Just my opinion though. To each his own.

18. mmm, fire

19. Oh, I don't know. With the style of it and the metal flames, it looks like a bass designed by the guys from "American Chopper"! :D It probably looks really good on stage for the grunge/metal scene. Just isn't my scene, but it's got potential...

Have fun with it! :bassist:

20. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Listen people, I drove about an hour and a half from my house to try out those basses in the only Michigan store that carried them. The tone was so bad that I almost cried right there in the store that I had wasted so much time and gas to get there.

If you replaced the pickups & electronics, I'm sure it would sound a lot better. I'd be worried about all that "hardcoreness" making me look like a total hack, though.

-Eric.