Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Traben Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkMachine, Jul 17, 2004.

1. FunkMachine

FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    Dubai
    Has anyone tried a Traben bass ?

Personally I havent, but Im very interested to know what they sound like and how they play.
    I cant find a soundclip anywhere on the net.

If you havent heard of traben before then:

http://www.trabenbass.com/basses/phoenix5.html

Very flamboyant/crazy/stylish/show-off basses, if you ask me. Im afraid that they may be 'all flash and no smash' though...

Anyway, any comments ?

2. I played one. It was alright, but the store was selling it for $600. If it was more reasonably priced it would be an alright bass. In my opinion, there are better basses in the price range.

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I agree.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Saw one at a Steve's Music Store, didn't play it though. They look way better in person, IMO.

5. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    what a coinkydink I also saw one at Steve's and didnt play it. looked good but I dont think they pack a very big punch.

6. I've played a couple, and I was not impressed with them at all. They play fine, but they weigh more than my 70s p-bass and they don't sound half as good. Not bad sounds, just nothing special.

7. Their only real advantage is that they look so interesting. Otherwise I would take a Yamaha or Fender in the same pricerange any day.

8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    It's just the bridge, and it's only SLIGHTLY cooler than Laklands wicked stylish circular bridge.

9. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Interesting to look at. Never played one though, and that's where it's at. I'd play one shaped like a %&$sack if it had the sound and playability I needed.

10. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I played one a while ago and it was medium OK. Tough to dial in a good tone but once it's there it's workable. I must say that the look is TACKY AS HECK!

11. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I have played a few and they are pretty much a run of the mill made in Korea bass; but they look cool. :p