Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Traben basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Triclops, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I am thinking of buying one of these bases, an I am wondering
    if anyone has any experience with one. P.S I KNOW they are heavy !:D

2. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Very powerful, I love the sound only I wish they'd introduce some new body styles and ERB's, they're doing a BOOTSY signature bass now. They've got great woods and nice electronics too, not so sure about the gaudy bridges. All in all it's a great bass for the cost.

3. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    thanx man. Is it just me, or did my thread get bumped waaayyy down

4. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I have a Traben and I like it - It's very 80's, especially on the bridge humbucker. On the neck pickup it's pretty growly. Works way better with nickel strings, can get a really Megadeth tone out of it with new nickels.

I string it B-E-A-D now, and it holds the low B perfect. I really like my Traben - Very good for the money I paid.

Edit: Holy crap that Bootsy sig. Traben looks fantastic!! Everything I think my Traben could be improved by... Dual jazz pickups, bridge pickup slightly further back from the bridge, Seymour Duncan pickups, an 18v preamp made with Aguilar...

Whew! I think this is really what Traben needs - A big artist endorsing them... I was sorta worried they might have lost their grip on the market, but best of luck to them.

5. foose4string

foose4string

Feb 4, 2006
    Maryland
    They need to make a model with less decoration. I mean why add all that extra metal(weight) on there? And I was told all the decorative metal is integrated with the bridge. So even if you wanted to take those decorations off, your left with a bass with a TON of screw holes and needing to buy a new bridge. They look and sound like decent basses otherwise.

6. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    it's supposed to increase sustain since there's more of the bridge contacting the body.

7. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    a totally bummy bump

8. The bridge really works! I checked it out at NAMM. They had a bass with a standard Hipshot type A style bridge and one of their big-ole bridges on another bass next to it at their booth. Both basses plugged in and on stands for quick a/b comparisons...

The big bridge DOES indeed have more punch and sustain! I was pretty shocked!

Peace!

9. Ruin Bass

Ruin Bass

Mar 19, 2006
    DFW Area
    I have a few questions about the Trabens. I was currently looking into buying a new bass, something a bit lighter. I have read threw some of what you guys have said about its weight being heavy.

My question is, I have a NJ Series BC RIch Warlock, its a heavy heavy bass, I was wondering for those who have played a BC in the past and played a Traben, how much weight difference is there? I really dig the inlay on the Phoenix and was leaning on the solarburst...However, I wanna move around on stage more, so should I be looking else where or is the Traben lighter then a BC?

Thanks.

10. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Ive GOT it! Get a new bridge, and a pickguard cut out in the same shape as the bridge,and viola! a lighter bass,with no visible screw holes!

11. Hey Ruin,
    We'll weigh up some of the Traben basses and give you the exact weights!

Peace!

12. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    ^Could you weigh a Torrent 5-string?

I'd love to know how much my bass really weighs.

I like mine, it's got an okay tone for the price I guess.......

Great stage bass if you ask me. I had a gig on Saturday and I got SO many comments about it.:p

13. Brandt@TPB

Brandt@TPB Supporting Member

May 8, 2006
    Gonzales, LA 70737
    Here are the Traben Basses, and their weights. The weights listed are actual “Bass in Hand” weights. I personally weighed each bass on are scale here at The Perfect Bass.

ALL WIEGTS IN LBS
    Neo 4 – 8.6
    Neo 5 – 9.7
    AP 4 – 7.9
    AP 5 – 8.8
    Array 4 – 7.9
    Array 5 – 8.6
    Phoenix 4 – 8.8
    Phoenix 5 – 9.9
    Kore 4 – 11.2
    Kore 5 – 11.9
    Sun 4 – 8.6
    Era 4 – 8.4

We have all these Trabens in stock and ready to ship. Please let me know if you need any more info.

14. Brandt@TPB

May 8, 2006
    Gonzales, LA 70737

Sorrry but we didn't have a Torrent in stock. I believe Traben has stop production of that bass. ? It is not listed on there home site.

15. earthtones

earthtones

Jan 16, 2006
    Gem Alberta
    do you have a chaos 5 that you could weigh?

16. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Yeah I got the last lefty one in stock pretty much anywhere. Thanks anyway.:)

17. Brandt@TPB

May 8, 2006
    Gonzales, LA 70737
    SORRY, NO CHAOS 5. THIS MODEL IS DISCONTINUED ALSO

18. Traben basses are great. I actually bought several of them due to the high quality and low price. My favorite is definitely the neck-thru Kore-5. Yeah, it is one heavy beast, but for $500 or so it can't be beat. The one that I really don't care for is the cheapie Array. If you want a Traben, buy any other as the Torrent, Chaos, Tribal Sun and Phoenix are practically the same thing other than a few decorative items and all are really nice basses, Kore is the only neck-thru and a bump up from those. I haven't tried any of the new models yet. I am selling some of mine (but not my Kore or Sun fretless) as I have too many basses as it is now and I keep seeing new ones that I have to buy (out with the old, in with the new).

19. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I use a Phoenix 5. I choose it over the Kore because it had a bit more "snap" to it. Anyway, I have been gigging with one for a little more than a year and it sounds great. One of these days I am going to change out the pups for Barts and the electronics for Aggies but overall this is a great bass. I dunno if its the bridge or what, but these have great sustain. Low B is also very present. The fingerboard is a bit picky and will buzz if you play sloppily. As mentioned, its pretty heavy, but I don't mind. Great alll around bass, weak point is the electronics which are still pretty good anyway (I actually prefer them to EMGs, which I tried in my Phoenix 5 for a week or so before taking em back), especially for the price. I may pick up an Array or something sometime soon for a backup bass.

20. [QUOTE I may pick up an Array or something sometime soon for a backup bass.[/QUOTE]

Be careful about that Array, it is nowhere near the quality of any of the others, and it is actually quite light in weight. That should tell you something. You can find a good used Chaos for about the same price as a new Array, and the Chaos is the Pheonix minus the fancy neckwork.