1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Traben Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Well I have been eyeballing these things for awhile now (even after everyone has been giving me a hard time about the cheesy bridge)....a local mom and pop shop nearby had a few neo's in-stock including a special edition in blackout...(meaning all black)...which i put on lay-away after playing....a few weeks back

[​IMG]

i went in today to make a payment and found this hanging on the wall in a 5 string configuration

[​IMG]

not a big fan of five stingers, but after playing this bad boy...i swapped my lay-away for this one (Except i played the one with the maple top, instead of the ebony)

BRIDGE traben tribal flame bigger bridge
    SCALE 34” four string and 35" five string
    CONSTRUCTION neck through
    PICKUPS rockfield®
    ELECTRONICS 9 volt active
    CONTROLS three-band eq with volume and blend
    and active/passive switch

BODY royal paulonia
    TOP flame maple or striped ebony
    FRETBOARD wenge
    NUT synthetic
    MSRP 4 String $700 / 5 String $780

out the door for $500.00 brand new!

now my gui**** will quit his bitchin about my tuning....lol

the sound was incredible, the build quality far exceeds the sale price, and the action was absolutley to die for....

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    cool

3. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I've heard people say the bigger the bridge the better the tone. :smug:

^Thats a big bridge.:ninja:

4. Have you seen the new Traban John Moyer 5 string Havoc bass,looks very nice with different bridge for the more conservative player and an Aquillar OBP- 3 preamp.Very nice I thought,and they go for $669.:cool:

5. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    Anybody know where these basses are made? Are they any good?

I was talking with a guy who says he has a NIB Chaos 5'er for $450. I have never seen, played, or even heard of one of these till this week.

6. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

i had one made in china.. the sound is nice but the construction is not so good, the paint is very thin and the bridge had some sharp ends... i had to return it because the neck rod was stripped..
    and the bodies are smaller than it looks on the pictures.

7. Traben Bass Company is an electric bass manufacturer based in Clearwater, FL. The company was started by Tracy Hoeft and Ben Chafin, and the name is a contraction of their first names (Tracy and Ben). The company is a subsidiary of Hanser Holdings International, and as such is affiliated with companies such as B.C. Rich and OLP Guitars......not a great resume' however like most manufacturers they have different models built in different factories in different parts of the world.....

www.myspace.com/trabenbass

www.trabenbass.com

Greg Weeks (Red Chord), John Moyer (Disturbed), Derrick Murdock (Tonight Show Band) Bootsy Collins all have signature models and play one live as well

"Traben employs a series of bridges which are called "SonicArt" or "Bigger Bridge." These unique bridges are quite large, and are usually made into some artistic form, as their names imply. Nearly all of the SonicArt bridges have a small tail design similar to an M at the bottom. The SonicArt bridges are made of solid brass plated with chrome. Due to their size, it is believed by Traben that the many contact points needed and the added mass of the bridges improves sustain and tone. This claim, though grounded in sound science, has been vigorously debated and even ridiculed by sceptics. The company responded by posting a video on their official MySpace page demonstrating the effect of their larger bridge mass on instruments, apparently proving their "Bigger Bridge, Bigger Tone" claim."

not sure how long they have been around but they have been at N.A.M.M. since 2006....i own ESP and B.C. Rich basses and like the odd and unusual body styles....i thought the bridge was a little over the top myself until i played one......wow....i'll be rocking one of these things soon enough!

8. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    I wanted a Traben for almost a year. I looked at them online, and I read everything I could get about these things. I finally decided to get a Chaos, so I started looking. It seems that the only way to get a Chaos is to order one through MusiciansFriend.com, GC, or some other wholesaler. If you can find a dealer, they "might" be able to get one.

Anyway, after my research was done and I was convinced, the only thing left to do was play one. I drove to Atlanta to the Guitar Center to play the only Traben they had, which was an Array. I hated that thing. It was too light, and felt cheap.

I found another store in Sumpter, SC. that had a Neo. The bass felt better than the Array, but the quality was no better. Don't get me wrong, the bass sounded fairly decent, but it wasn't up to my standards.

9. Sorry to hear that Revvv....to each his own....guess that why there are sooo many bass companies out there....lol

People often say the same thing about ESP's and i happen to love them...i own three!

10. I own a Traben Array obsession, and I love it. The tone is amazing, the neck is extremely thin and fast, and with the 3 band eq and the active/passive toggle you can get pretty much any tone you want. not to mention is just plain amazing looking.

DSC04419.

11. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I kinda like them, a bit.....
    Photo-0018.

By which I mean, I utterly love 'em!:D

12. thanks for posting those pics and comments fellas....soon to join your ranks....

13. scottic2

scottic2 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    Hey Revvv-
    I too have tried out the Array one time in a Guitar Center near me, and was equally unimpressed. However, do yourself a favor and check out the Chaos Core. I have the 5 string version. It plays amazingly well, sounds great with the Aguilar OBP-3 Preamp and Rockfield pickups, and is very well constructed. Don't write Traben off without trying this bass. Quite frankly, I'm surprised there isn't more talk about these basses, at least the Chaos Core. I'm sure that when the john Moyer sig model comes out, people will start paying more attention. For now, those of us who know about them are happy!
    Scott C

14. Buzz, your bridge...
    woof.

15. GTMOKID

GTMOKID

Jul 15, 2008
    I just bought a TRABEN 5'er Array limited. After playing a custom built "Cliff Bordwell" fretless for 4 years I'm having a tough time killing the unwanted harmonics. I thought I was good muter but this bass is giving a tough time. I love the way it feels. The 18mm pitch is very cool to run fast licks. Anyways, even when muting every string I'm still hearing harmonics, specially after play D on the A string. Will I overcome with time or do I need to hack off part of that big tribal bridge.

16. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Carry it to a tech, that doesn't sound right at all, neither of mine have ever had a problem with mutin harmonics.

17. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    MF had one in that "bass section" of their last catalog, there was one that reminded me of a MM. John Moyer sig :
    [​IMG]

18. Went by and made another payment and played my (soon to be) new baby....:bassist:

I will be wanting a club # before too long...lol

19. -ji-

-ji-

Dec 15, 2008
    Hey guys (first post, yay :p)

I recently bought a Traben Neo 4 string (its an active bass in alpine white with the round bigger bridge/pick guard reminiscent of a Music Man). I've had it for a month or two. The strings need to be changed, but recently it's developed a devastatingly horrible problem. Whenever I fret ANY note, the bass buzzes. It is not fret buzz, my amp, or the cables (I use Monster Cables). It's the signal itself. I've tried playing the bass through several amps and it always buzzes. The battery is fresh and the wiring looks solid... so what the hell is up? Any ideas?

I figured that I'd put this in the Traben thread. Other than this obnoxious buzzing, the bass is great. Plays as nicely as it looks.

20. well it could be any number of problems, probably a ground issue....i suggest that you take it to a store with a good tech and have him give it the once over....

Welcome to Talk Bass and welocme to club Traben