Traben Club, Level 2.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Darkstrike, Dec 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Since the last thread hit 1000, I started this one up quick, continued from here...

So have at it! :D

2. Mooch

Mooch

Jan 1, 2009
    MN

Well that's a bummer, so in other words I'm kinda SOL on getting more volume out of this thing. I emailed Todd at rockfield to see if they make a spacer for these pickups. I haven't heard back so who knows if I will.

I gotta figure something out that's for sure. If I don't hear back I'm either selling it or finding some way to raise the pickups myself.

And I'm not sure about the battery issue as I barely use this thing because its so quiet. Best sounding bass I have ever heard just too quiet to make it with my band.

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    If you're not afraid of modding, you could add an EMG Afterburner, or a Bartolini TC3 Booster Preamp.

4. Montanamike

Montanamike Mike Atkinson Commercial User

Dec 23, 2009
    Havre, Montana, USA
    Own a Music Store
    To get your pups closer just put some foam under them. they should be 8-10/64th from the strings. You also may want to try an Aguilar preamp, If you want Volume you got it with an aggie. Matched flat output is a design thing, my sadowsky is a no bump either until you start to boost.

Do you have you amp Pad off?

5. Mooch

Mooch

Jan 1, 2009
    MN
    I guess im not sure what you mean by amp Pad off. I havent ever had to mod any basses besides basic setup stuff which I can do.

I have my action where I so lowering that is out, but i am willing to try anything. I would rather just try rasing the pickups first before dropping cash on a new preamp and install money. Someone said foam. Is that a good start? And do i look for a denser foam or something softer like "gun case" foam?

6. Montanamike

Dec 23, 2009
    Havre, Montana, USA
    Own a Music Store
    The amp pad piece. What I mean is that most amps have an active / Passive pad. It decreases the input signal so it doesn't distort the amps preamp. It is usually about 14 db or so. What kind of amp do you have?

Any foam will work as long as it will supply up pressure on the bottom of the pups. Try this:
    1. loosen and move your strings out of the way
    2. Take out your pup screws
    3. Lift the pups out of the body and cut and place some foam under then so you have to push them down to get them into the body.
    4. Replace the screws, This can be tricky around the foam so you may have to trim the foam a bit.
    5. Re-string and set pup height ( measure from the bottom of the string to top of pup's with a machinist rule.
    -Neck pup=9/64 @ G and 11/64 @ E or B
    - Bridge pup = 7/64 @ G and 9/64 at E or B

Good luck and write back with questions
    Mike

7. mkandolf

mkandolf

Nov 21, 2007
    Saint Clair, MI
    Montana's right, I normally plug my Obsession into the #1 input of my Ampeg BA115HPT when I play it, and all my other active basses get plugged into #2 input. Most modern amps with 2 inputs are set up this way. The first input is usually for passive basses without preamps and the second is about 15db off for active basses with the preamps.

Other modern amps like Ampeg's SVT-3 Pro have only one input, but have a button that selects between the clean input and the 15db padded input, the amp pad. Check out the manual on your amp or look your amp up online.

8. Mooch

Mooch

Jan 1, 2009
    MN
    I have a Hartke HA3500, it have input for active and passive. I always use Active because passive sounds disgusting. It has tube gain and solid state gains on the pre-amp. I dont use any solid state because again it sounds terrible. All tube and whatnot. This thing is just quiet as hell, i tried messing with it again at practice on Monday and had to up the tube gain 3 notches, the low end and high end gain 2 notches and the main volume by 4(moving it to 8) and it still just doesnt make it to the Array's sound capability.

The Array I have the Tube gain at 5, bass and treble gain at 3 past midnight and volume at 5 and its almost too much, but sounds awesome.

9. Montanamike

Dec 23, 2009
    Havre, Montana, USA
    Own a Music Store
    I don't know much about you amp, but, if the passive input sounds bad something is wrong with it, same with solid state side (FET). The 2 guitars were not designed to sound the same or act the same. I own a Sadowsky and a few Stingrays, they all have different output levels and I need to tweak the amp for each one independently.

If you like the Tube side you obviously like a warm, round tone except I'm confused by the massive amount of bass and treble you are adding to your sound on the tube side, this is scoopy and more FET-like.

Try setting everything flat and dialing in your pre-gain to a reasonable level, and make your cab output adjustments with the post-Volume. Do your eq'ing with the bass.

Just an idea?

10. Mooch

Mooch

Jan 1, 2009
    MN
    Well I guess I should explained the bass and treble more. After the knobs on those go past midnight it starts boosting so midnight is 0 and before that is cutting it and after is boosting so im only boosting it a bit. It has a Graphic EQ and I have that set where I like the sound.

I have messed with all those things with the Chaos OB and nothing I can do with any EQing on the amp or bass can match the Arrays sound. Its just simply a quieter bass. I'll try raising pickups to see where that gets me and possibly a new preamp.

11. Mooch

Mooch

Jan 1, 2009
    MN
    And the passive side works fine, it doesnt with my Array because thats an active bass but the Chaos can be both and while Ive tried both passive just sound terrible to me. Any passive I have ever heard sounds like you're playing in a sewer tunnel.

12. Mooch

Mooch

Jan 1, 2009
    MN
    Well I made a trip to Menards here today and found the perfect foam application. its foam strips for setting windows in houses and it has adheasive on it. i just slid some on with out sticking it and set everything back to try it out tonight at practice. I'll post the result.

13. Mooch

Mooch

Jan 1, 2009
    MN
    Well got more volume out of it but it still just doesn't cut it. The Array is just so much more powerful hands down. I think I'll start looking for a new back up. I am not gonna mod this thing. I'm sure it would be perfect for someone playing Jazz or rock stuff but its not cutting it for what we're doing.

14. Montanamike

Dec 23, 2009
    Havre, Montana, USA
    Own a Music Store
    Good luck on your hunt, If you want opinions on what to buy next, I have plenty of opinions.

What kind of nusic are you playing?

15. Mooch

Mooch

Jan 1, 2009
    MN
    Well I love my Array and am sticking with Traben, nothing seems to have the sound or look at the price of Traben and I'm not going with Ibanez. Schecter I would consider but not too sure. Either way I would love to hear an Array Attack or a Neo. Any Neo owners out there compare an Array and Neo side by side? If they sound the same Im thinking a Red Neo with that Chrome hardware.

16. Montanamike

Dec 23, 2009
    Havre, Montana, USA
    Own a Music Store
    OK, see if you can find a Moyer Sig. or a Greg weeks or a chaos core. These rock, these are the only models with the Aguilar pre-amp and trust me it makes all the difference. Just ask mkandolf, he has a couple of Trabens with aggies.

Once again, What kind of music do you play?

Mike

17. mkandolf

mkandolf

Nov 21, 2007
    Saint Clair, MI
    Ooh, me loves me Traben Chaos Core!!! The thing ROCKS!!! Thunder!!!

Then again, Mooch, see if you can find a used Traben Tribal Sun 5'er. Lovin' mine too, although Montana (the previous owner) had put an Aguilar in it. But the 4 stringer I (still) have sounds pretty good too!

18. Mooch

Mooch

Jan 1, 2009
    MN
    Well i posted the Chaos Obsession on Ebay. Hopefully someone bites. Its a great bass and no issues at all with it. It looks like it just came off the assembly line. That said I did some craigslist scouring and found 2 pheonix's an old Kore and a bootzilla. All great shape and cheap, now I just need mine to sell.

I would like a Pheonix or a bootzilla really bad. 4-string is what I'm after now. I neo would be cool too but its whatevers out there when I have the cash.

Also I play metal and the Array works great for it so anything comparable sounding is what I want.

19. I'll agree, the best of the Traben basses are those with the Chaos bridges and Aguilar pre-amps, espcially for recording. I wouldn't consider using any other bass at present and believe me I've used everything from Fender, Musicman, Warwick and Schecter.

20. Soilent_Goat

Soilent_Goat

Jan 20, 2011
    Just ordered a new Greg Weeks signature.
    Got it for a tad over 500 so i think it's well worth that amount.
    hope it's comfy.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021