Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Traben Customer Service Experience

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TekniquE, Jul 1, 2005.

1. TekniquE

TekniquE

Jul 1, 2005
    So, this is my first post. I've lurked here for a long time and appreciate all the posters' good advice and opining. I registered pretty much just to tell this story.

I'm a big fan of Traben. I've tried their basses out, and I always thought they looked great and sounded good. They're a great value at their price point. Anyway, I ordered an Array thinking I could beat it up and play with the electronics and just have a generally good time with a new toy.

So, the thing comes through my local music shop, I get it home, and the top pick-up is dead. The battery cover is broken off, and the neck is warped. Needless to say, I was heated. I know this thing isn't top of the line, but for $300 bucks it should still work.

This should be qualified by saying that the guys at the local store are, and were, great guys. They told me they'd send it back and talk to Traben customer service to see if I could get a discount or something.

So I show up the next day, after driving an hour to get there, heated. I was po'd. I'm not a particularly big (168 lb) guy. But i can bench press 275 lb, and military 185 lb without hurting myself. I run 4I look like a gorilla with earrings. The guys at the store were a little skittish. So, I ask what Traben said. These guys told me Traben would take 15% off the case and upgrade the case, for a net total of... nothing but a pain in the @**.

So I figure out who they talked to that had the most juice. Turned out to be this dude, I don't remember his name. They get him on the phone for me, and I start riffing. Their line was the issues were shipping damage. He claimed no fault, took no responsibility. I said, dude, you packed it, you shipped it. It's your fault. Anyway, there's no way you can bend a box to warp a neck like that. I was about to trash the whole deal.

After a few minutes, I had this guy stuttering. He gets back on the line with the guy at the store, they pow-wow, and I walk out with a Chaos 4 ($175-$250) upgrade for the difference in sales tax ($26.00). I was content, but not particularly happy. I know the store had to eat some of that too, but they should have plugged it in as well.

Just thought I'd share that with the community. It should be noted that, I really like the Chaos 4. It's beautiful (to me :) ) and plays fast with nice sustain and hot electronics. It's solid and heavy.

I hate to become that guy. I'm really nice deep down. When I get heated though, I shake, adrenaline, veins, red vision and BAM!

Anybody else have similar experience...
    Later.

2. bossross

bossross

Nov 11, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Hiya Tek. I'm browse the forums myself a lot too but don't post often. I'm right in the middle of a customer service exchange with Traben who seems to be represented by Hanser MG (they represent B.C. Rich and Kustom to name a few) and will be happy to post the entire message after the situation is resolved. To make a long story short I own two Traben basses; Sun and Arrray Ltd. I lost the 9v battery cover for the active electronics on my Sun in an unfortunate hungry bar booth accident :) It slipped between a crack in the seat no larger than a credit card and was gone. The whole booth is nailed together and it ain't coming apart! After sharing this story with customer service they informed me that it will cost $14.95 for a replacement. I don't know about you, but that's pricey for a small thin piece of plastic. I figured something like this that surely costs a few cents to manufacture would be a freebie seeing as how I've easily spent over $1000 on two of their basses thus far. I politely vented my dismay regarding this via email with their customer service and will keep you posted as to what comes out of this.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Well it's been over 5 years since that first post. Let's hope you have better luck!

4. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I dunno, 15 bucks does not sound all that unreasonable to me. Whether you spent over a grand or not.

And I am sure a suitable replacement can be made easily enough...but I am not sure about cheap enough price wise.

:bassist:

5. bossross

bossross

Nov 11, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    You're right, Gumby. The $15 isn't much at all. I was just getting frustrated over how everything was going with their customer service at the start. In the end, their rep., is going to send me a replacement at no cost and I am very satisfied. I'll post our exchange and remove some of the personal info to protect myself. :)

6. bossross

bossross

Nov 11, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Here is the full unedited exchange between me and Traben's customer service. I just wanted others to know how frustrated I was starting to get. In the end I am very happy with Traben's customer experience.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kyle,
    What's your address? I'll send you the one that I have.

Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 11:01 PM
    To: xxx
    Subject: RE: FW: Please help a loyal traben fan

Thank you for your help, xxx. I completely understand that you want the parts to go to the right people. I thought that the serial numbers I included in my first message would be sufficient enough. I wish I had a digital camera in my possession right now, but you can see me on my profile pic on my facebook page playing my Sun bass..

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=100001290566556

I know it's not indisputable proof, but it's the best I can do right now. hehe
    Anyways thanks again for your cooperation.
    Sincerely, Kyle Ross

--- On Tue, 12/7/10, xxx wrote:

To: "Kyle Ross" <bossross1978@yahoo.com>
    Date: Tuesday, December 7, 2010, 1:58 PM

Kyle,
    We just simply don't have very many of these to send out. They're not a part that we keep on hand, or get in from the factory because they don't break or fail. A short google search this morning turned up nothing, so they aren't a common part on the parts websites either. The only thing I like to make sure of is that I send parts out to people that actually have our products which is why I made a relatively simple request for a picture of your bass. I forwarded your email to my manager and he said that if our QC dept. has one of these to go ahead and send you one. I'll let you know if they have one.

Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 12:25 PM

Thank you for assisting me on the phone earlier, xxx. I think it's unfortunate that something like a thin plastic battery cover would cost me $14.95 after I have bought two electric basses from you. I own a '91 Musicman Stingray and once inquired Ernie Ball about some replacement bridge saddles and springs. I was more than willing to pay money for some machined metal parts, but was pleasantly surprised when I received the parts and a free T shirt at no cost to myself. You probably have a set protocol regarding your procedures and replacement parts so I can understand you are just doing your job. I hope that you might forward this message to your supervisor/manager in hopes that he/she would understand this unique situation. Thanks for your time again.

Sincerely, Kyle Ross

--- On Tue, 12/7/10, xxx wrote:

To: "Kyle Ross" <bossross1978@yahoo.com>
    Date: Tuesday, December 7, 2010, 9:25 AM

I think I do have one. It would be 14.95.

Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 12:59 AM
    Subject: Re: FW: Please help a loyal traben fan

I don't have any pics or a camera available right now to take any. My Traben Sun bass and my Traben Array Limited bass that I mentioned earlier both have the same size 9 volt battery cover. It is oval shaped with two screw holes on the end. Are you familiar with the piece that I'm referring to? It's the small plate that covers the 9 volt battery on the back of all of your active bass guitars. Please contact me again if you need to.

Thanks, Kyle
    --- On Mon, 12/6/10,xxx wrote:

Subject: FW: Please help a loyal traben fan
    To: bossross1978@yahoo.com
    Date: Monday, December 6, 2010, 4:20 PM

Kyle,
    Could you please send a picture of the bass and the where the batter cover goes so I can make sure we have the right part.

J Murphy
    Hanser Music Group Customer Service

Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2010 6:43 PM
    To: Tim Keyes
    Subject: Please help a loyal traben fan

Hi. My name is Kyle and I am a huge fan of your basses. I've owned two of your basses for quite awhile. A 5 string Array (SN XXXXXXX) and a 5 string Sun (SN XXXXXX). I love them both and now use the Array as a back up for live shows. I had an accident last night while I was replacing my 9V battery in the back of my Sun bass. I lost the battery cover inside a small crack in a large wooden bar booth. It was like it happened in slow motion as I watched it slide behind the wooden seat top.I hoped that I could just lift up the seat thinking that maybe they stored extra napkins and to go boxes in there like some bars do, but alas it was nailed down very well. I would have to tear apart the seat to get to the cover and I don't think the owners are going to let me do that (especially after having our p.a. system crap out in the middle of the night lol) Will you please let me know what my options are as far as acquiring a new battery cover for the Sun Bass? Thank you for your help with this.

Sincerely, Kyle Ross

7. 1.5 gripes in 5 years, resolved fairly well? Sounds like Traben's customer service is pretty good. I'm sure they sold more than 2 basses in that time.