1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Traben Standard 4G Volume Knob never worked - missing wire?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassbolle, Jun 2, 2017.

1. bassbolle

bassbolle

Jun 2, 2017
    Dear Basses and Bassettes,

I am fairly new to the realm of electric music and got myself a traben 4G standard (or traben array standard in the US I think) to start, it has 2 active pickups with a 3band equalizer. It's fun and I like it a lot, but I noticed that one of the knobs doesn't have any effect, and later learnt that this is the volume knob.

I bought it online and don't want to ship it back for warranty, rather take care of it myself. I took a picture of the wiring and thought maybe one could help me here. Right below the yellow cable binder is the knob/poti in question, the upper contact is connected to the poti casing, the bottom one to a white wire going where it belongs I guess. But the center one doesn't have any wire.

So maybe, if I'm really lucky, someone else has a traben 4G and could just take a picture of his wires and tell me if this needs to be connected to anything.

best Wishes,
    Patrick

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I don't have one, but surely somebody here does.

Either way, Welcome to TalkBass!!!!

3. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    If your volume doesn't work but the bass is making sound, then it sounds like the ground wire is not connected to the volume pot.

4. bassbolle

bassbolle

Jun 2, 2017
    Thank you for the warm welcome!

I tried to get a wire from the vacant contact to either the other poti contacts or to either of the jack contacts. Each time the bass would sound identical until I turned the knob all the way up, where suddenly the sound would be gone. This suggests to me that the poti itself is broken. But again, I don't anything about guitar wiring.

Also, it looks like both the left and right contacts of this poti are soldered to its casing. Is this common?

A picture of a Traben Standard 4G wiring with the volume knob working would help so much here :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  5. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Ask around and see if someone you know has an ohm meter
    and knows how to use it. The volume control may be bad but
    needs to be checked.

6. You will have to check the pot with an Ohm meter to figure out what is going wrong.

Also, it was my understanding that Traben basses had passive pickups.

7. bassbolle

bassbolle

Jun 2, 2017
    I never got around to characterise the poti with an ohmmeter, but I got feedback from thomann.de where I bought the bass, and I got it working with their information. Just posting here so it's complete.

The white wire that comes out of the grey sheath has to go to the middle connector. In my case it was connected to the bottom connector. After I soldered it to the middle one, it was fine.

But thanks anyway to everyone!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021