Traben vs Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pulseczar, Jan 19, 2006.

1. pulseczar

May 7, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Hey, I'm in the market for a new bassin the 400/500 range and I'm having a dilemma trying to choose which bass.

I found a great Traben Array Premium 5 for only 400. I've yet to play it, but I hear that its very low and mid heavy, which is fine wtih me. I could always replace the pups.

I was leaning towards the Traben until I searched on eBay and found two basses that also seem awesome.

There are two Ibanez SR506s on eBay going for only 425 and I was wondering if its better than the Traben.

There's also a Conklin GrooveTools on eBay for 400 also I think. Is Conklin a good brand?

Anyways, I'm stuck in choosing a bass and I hope that the TB community could help me out. The biggest thing I'm looking for is playability. Why get a great sounding bass if you can barely play it? Second would be sound range. I'd like a bass that has clear highs and a solid midrange, but also with the right config, ear saturating bass and a heavy thump to it. I'm not looking for a unique sound, just a good sound. Thanks for your help.
  2. WARNING!!! Ibanez fanboy about to post!!!

Okay, I happen to own an Ibanez SR406, and I absolutely love it to death! I actually havn't modded it one bit yet, I still have those amazing Ibby DXP/J soapbars. (for now... I plan to replace with a set of Barts in distant future.) The SR500 is practically the same thing, with different woods, and Barts.

I have never played a Traben, can't get over that cheese factor of a bridge, and I've never met one in person either. But I imagine it doesnt play ANYWHERE near as good as the Ibby.

I know what I posted isn't much to offer, but hey, I hope I at least give you an insight of how much I love Ibanez.

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Both the Ibanez and the Conklin blow the Traben away. I've found that the large gaudy bridge doesn't help sustain as claimed, and is quite easy to jam/cut your fingers on. Construction was middling - not awful, but certainly nothing to be praised.

The SR-506s are some of the best low/mid-range "starter" six-string basses on the market today. The natural wood finish on both the body and neck is extremely nice, and has a very "Warwick"-esque feel and tone. 5-piece wenge/bubinga neck, wenge fingerboard, mahogany body. Playability is great is you're okay with tighter string-spacing (16.5 mm) and a smaller body. The Bart MK1 pup/electronics package is much more than serviceable for the price range.

Conklin is indeed a great brand, but the Groove Tools line is their import budget line. That's okay, because it's also brought quality 7 string ERBs (back in the day) into the hands of the public. The necks and bodies are larger than the Ibanez, but that's a matter of personal preference. 5-piece Wenge/Purpleheart Neck, Purpleheart Fingerboard, ash body. Decent OEM pups and electronics, a bit lower than the Ibanez but still more than usable.

I'd absolutely recommend that you stick to the Ibanez or Conklin over the Traben - they're simply a step up in my eyes. After than it's a good deal of personal taste - different body woods and shapes (since you talk about playability/ergonomics being a factor). Good luck in your decision!

Edit: Conklin fact fix.
  4. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    Let me tell you, the Groove Tools will give you the best bang for your buck. This may sound cheesy, but it's a high end playing bass at a low end cost.

And 6 string groove tools? I never knew they existed -- I've never seen any on ebay and I've even got an e-catalogue that doesn't mention a 6 string Groove Tool at all...
  5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    My bad, my mind "filled" in the line with a six in-between the 4,5, and 7s. I know they had made some prototypes at a point, but AFAIK by then the market for the sevens had slowed and it wasn't a profitable market to tap into with builders already well-entrenched.
  6. pulseczar

May 7, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Thank you very much for all your help. It's enlightened me a great deal.

Now to throw in another twist: How about a Schecter Stilleto Studio?
  7. definitely +1 on Conklin and Ibanez over Traben. I loved the Schecter that I played. Deciding between those two I believe is strictly personel preference though, I'd prolly go with the Schecter. I like Ibanez stuff a lot though, I've owned two and was extremely happy with both of them. Your choice.
  8. Between the Ibby and the Schecter, I honestly, whole-heartedly would take the Ibanez every single time. The Schecter's just feel really odd to me, almost toy-like.

Get this, my brother (a guitarist) and I we running through a new Schecter [guitars] stock at my local place, and we really were looking foward to two guitars. Damien 006, and the C-1. The Damien retailed for ~$300 and the C-1 for twice. Both of us, including the shop keeper all picked the cheaper Damien over the lavishly priced C-1. Now, if that makes sense to anyone, let me know why Schecter does this.:confused: :confused: :confused: