1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trace 1248 that's a 4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Hey guys. I've got my trace rig finally and I'm loving it... AH600SMX and a sealed te 4x10, with green carpet covering and the serial number ends /496 (april 96?). Had a look at the writing on the back of the cab, which has kind of worn off and it says it's a 1248 (1 seems to be worn off, definitely 248 though). 800 watts (the 8 could possibly be a 2, but looks much more like an 8) and it's rated 8 ohms. From the searching i've done on here a 1248 is a 4x12 covered in the tolex like the V series heads... Can anyone enlighten me as to what I have?

IMG_0885.

Cheers! :)

2. From the way your amp is sitting on the cab, id be tempted to say its a 4x12, because ive used a similar head on a 4x10 and the head fits on snuggly, ie cab and head are practically the same width

- Will

3. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I measured the speakers and they seem to be tens... I'm pretty much 100% on that. I've been researching the older trace stuff, and I can't seem to find any mention of a sealed trace cab... They've all either got the big round ports or the centra slotted ports on thr 4x10s... Were the 4x12's ported?

4. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Maybe Kelly Lee will chime in on this, but for now I have to agree w/ mohawk. That looks like a 4x12. The AH/RAH head were 19" rackmount width. Add 1 1/2" to 2" for the Trace case you're up around 21" total width. It looks like the cab is about 6" wider than the head. There's not a lot of room between the drivers so if that was a 4x10 it would be maybe 23" or 24" wide....

I clearly have to much time on my hands!!

Edit. And IIRC, the Trace naming convention for cabs went like this: The first 2 digits are the driver size, the third digit is how many of those drivers there are, and the fourth digit is the impedence of the cab.

BTW. Nice rig.

5. I own an 1248H and that one is deffinitly not ported.
    Its also 800 watts @ 8 Ohm's, and from the looks of yours I think its actually a 4x12.
    [​IMG]

6. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Right, I don't have a ruler or tape measure to hand, but the speaker mountings screws opposite each other are about the length of a sheet of A4 paper apart. Which is 12" (ish?). But I didn't realise speaker sizes included the mounting. I was measuring across the cone itself. So does that mean I've got a 4x12? :D

7. My peavey 410 looks about the same dimensions as your looking at, im talking about closeness of speakers and thickness of the edges and that is 24 inchs wide, that cab looks about 28 inchs wide

8. yes

9. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Well, until I get a tape measure I'll trust you guys on that one :)

Thanks for the help!

tom

10. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Trace most definatley made carpet covered versions of the 1248 as well as the V-Type versions.

11. BBMS

BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    I have a 1248, and it looks like:

12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Yep, you have a 1248. :D

13. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Haha, I asked in the TE megathread before I got it and you guys all said it was definitely a 4x10! Can't believe I measured ten as well! What was I on? :scowl:

14. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Oh yeah, BBMS, how heavy is your rig? Because I think there might be a dead body in mine. It takes 2 people to get it into and out of my car. Only way it goes in is by putting the roof down, one guy climbing in from one side and then dropping it onto the back seats. How heavy are the 4x10 and 1x15 in comparison?

15. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    nice mate:D you wanna get another similar cab so you can do what I have done(although I have two 410s):D

16. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I'd love to, would be impressive in my room but no way could I fit all that in my car :(

17. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    damn thats a shame:(I know you have just got that setup, but have you any future plans to add a smaller trace cab or another branded cab to the picture?Or is it really you can only fit one cab in your car?

18. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I don't really know how much the 1248 is worth on it's own, bit if the 1x15 and 4x10 would be smaller and a similar price I might be able to fit both in the space I can get my 4x12 in, it's width is awkward, and it's really heavy. It's a mission taking to gigs. And I could always just take a 4x10 or 1x15 by itself...

19. Yeah I know it's really heavy, actually the day I bought it I lifted it out of the car myself, ( I was just so anxious to start playing it).:hyper:
    I still dont know how I did that, cause every time I had to move it after that I carried it with the help my band's guitarist and the guy was complaining about the weight almost non-stop.
    Of course being a guitarist he used to rolling around his papier mache Marshal 4x12.
    When it comes to size I can actually easilly fit it into my Fiat Punto, backseat dwon ofcourse. I would nver trade this cab for a 4x10,..... oh glorious low mids.:bassist: