Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace 400watt tube head with EA VL210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Jan 21, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm thinking about getting a EA VL210 I have a choice between one if 80oz. magnets, or one with 105oz. magnets. Will my all tube 400watt Trace get a VL210 LOUD? and will it sound good?

2. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Can any 2x10 really be LOUD?

3. My Trace V6 sounds great through an SWR Goliath Jr. II, but if you want to be LOUD you will want more speaker surface area to move more air! Lately, my problem has been being too loud for the nice folks at the country club; hence, I use the 2x10 cabinet instead of Henry the 8x8. -Wes

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    make sense THANKS

5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Get the one with the 105 oz. magnets. They are more efficient. I have two of them and yes they are plenty loud(for me)

6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    how do they compare to the CxL line?

7. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    The vl's go deeper but the cxl's are a bit louder

8. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    If you want deep and loud go with a pair of CXL 112's. They go down to 38 hz and have an spl of 103 each. So a pair will get you 106 db and that's as loud as an Eden 410 XLT

9. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    will 400watts of tube power get one of these cabs loud enough to play shows. I'll probably end up getting two

10. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Well I don't know how loud your band is but I just used a single Vl210 Saturday night. I powered it with a PLX 1602. and my pre-amp never went past 4 or 5 and that was plenty to cut through guitar, drums, keys, sax and trombone. The SPL of my VL's is 100. The SPL of the CXL 112's is 103. So that's twice as loud.

11. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm in a ska/rock band with drummer, guitar, sax,trumpet, and trumbone, and two singers. We're not as loud as some rock bands..I think I'm going to go two EA CxL-112s

12. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    That's probably a really good idea. Make sure you get the newer light weight 112's. I think they're around 40 lbs now. They're also alot less expensive than my Vl's were. Let us know how you like them when you get them

13. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    well I am useing two CxL-110s. I love the sound, but there isn't enough low end for mehow do the CxL-112s compare to agi 1x12s

14. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    The CXL's are going to have a flatter responce that the aggies. The aggeis have a thicker tone IMO the the CXL's do. The aggies arn't quite as loud (1 DB) no big deal. The aggies are much less expensive. But I like the flat high fi EA tone myself. Try them both if you can