Trace after Gibson?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jason Hale, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Did Trace Elliot quality go downhill after the Gibson buyout or did it remain the same?
  2. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    That's hard to say since Trace stopped making bass amps after the Gibson buyout. They continue to make acoustic guitar amps, but I have no idea of the quality these days.

I have a Trace bass amp that I got back in the 80's. It's been through hell and it still works and sounds great. I even had it modified for a higher wattage output some time ago. The quality of these amps back then was great. I think it's real shame that they are no longer available.
  3. To the best of my knowledge Gibson still produces the Trace Elliot bass amp products.
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    They suck. Bad.

If you want a good Trace Elliot, get an Ashdown. It's the same guy making those.
  5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Well if they do, what are they doing with them? Stockpiling some kind of giant bass armoury? They're certainly not in the shops!

6. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i think they're at the same place as the good gibson tobias and steinberger basses- in the bizarro universe. :D
  7. Take it from someone who knows first hand and all too well... (me).

8. Wasn't pleased with the one bottom-of-the-line Ashdown I tried, but it was worlds better than the last Trace amps built before Gibson killed off that brand too.
    I was unfortunate enough to buy a BLX-130 made after the buyout, and I don't think I've ever had as many problems with an amp. Bought it secondhand, and it spent more time in the dealer's shop than in my house or on gigs, and bear in mind I had it long enough to rebuild it myself several times.
    Phantom buzzes, thin-gauge sheet-metal used to build the amplifier chassis, silicon gel drizzled over the power-amp components and used to secure the jacks and preamp sliders to the faceplate (!!!)...I could go on, but it sickens me so.
    Avoid, avoid, avoid.
    The earlier BLX-80 I had was a tank. Read my review on Dropped it, rolled it down muddy hills, spilled beer in it, maxed out its' volume, the whole bit, and it never even hiccuped. Projected like a mother too, even sitting on a chair. Except for the tone, which I could never really live with, I'd still have it.
  9. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I think gibson made trace amps for a few years after the buy out but I dont think they make them anymore. As far as old trace and ashdown, I have an old trace gp12 smx and had a ashdown evoII. They dont sound alike at all. Both built well but sound very different to my ear.