1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trace ah350 head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brandondagger, Jul 23, 2012.

1. brandondagger

brandondagger

Jul 23, 2012
    I have a trace elliot ah350 on layaway and I am having trouble understanding the specs. is this 350 watts to each cab that I pug in? I am having trouble finding trace cabs that leave head-space. It seems that all of the cabs that I look at are 300 watt. It would be helpful if someone could recommend a cab to go with this head that wont break my bank. thanks, Brandon

2. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Maximum 350W to either one 4ohm cab, or 350W divided over two connected 8ohm cabs. (So maximum 175W to one 8ohm cab).
    Or if just one 8ohm cab connected around 200W max.

What cabs are you looking at? Surely you must be able to find something that can handle more power... although 300W power handling can be enough. Depends on your situation.
    And you can use higher wattage amps with lower-rated power handling cabs. Just be sensible with the master knob.

Welcome to TB by the way.

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Cab power ratings are pretty useless. If they sound good use them, don't worry to much about matching numbers.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 don't fret over wattage ratings. They are only a small part of the story, and a fairly insignificant part at that. Your amp is capable of 350 continuous watts, but can spike close to double that. A bass cab is rated at it's thermal limits, but will mechanically fail much sooner than that. Go easy on the low eq, and use whatever cab you like. Go with an 8 ohm cab, in any case, so you have room to grow.

5. brandondagger

brandondagger

Jul 23, 2012
    THANX much for the help and the welcome!!! I am looking at the TRACE ELLIOT 1048P CAB or the TRACE ELLIOT 1047 CAB. for whatever reason I am finding it difficult to come up with specs for old gear. Can you guys point me in the right direction?

6. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Try to find some pictures or take pictures of the cabs and we can help. -Luke

7. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    1048 is that their 4x10 cab? Original was 200 wattts....newer were 300 I believe

8. brandondagger

brandondagger

Jul 23, 2012
    It would be nice to know what type of speakers are in these and things of that nature.
    any info would help. most guitar center employees don't know a whole lot about these.

9. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Those are 300 watt cabs. Having two of them would sound great with that head. -Luke

10. I would try to get two of the 1513 cabs. It's the smaller of the two 15" models, cheap as chips. Tom Bowlus reviewed it very favourably. I have the bigger 1518 with 250W Trace head.

It isn't necessary to get Trace cabs, the amp will get the Trace sound from any decent cab. I shy away from any 4x10 because they are so directional.