1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trace AH350X question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pauldebass, Sep 8, 2008.

  1. pauldebass


    May 8, 2006
    I have a AH350X Trace Elliot head. For speaker output it has a 1/4 inch output for high end and for full power it only has a three prong balanced output... the kind used for mic cables. So my question is can I just get a cable that has balanced on one end and 1/4 inch on the other to use? If not then what? Should I try and get this changed to a 1/4 inch output?
  2. Kelly Lee

    Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

    Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Unless you have some version I have never seen you don't need a XLR-to-1/4" plug cable unless you just want to use one. Standard 1/4"-to-1/4" will work just fine.
  3. pauldebass


    May 8, 2006
    there isn't a 1/4 inch out for the 'full power' only the balanced. there is a 1/4 inch out but it says for 'high signal'
  4. Kelly Lee

    Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

    Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Can you post a pic of the back of the amp?
  5. pauldebass


    May 8, 2006
  6. pauldebass


    May 8, 2006
    still looking for answer for speaker cable fo Trace Elliot AH350X
  7. duff2

    duff2 Guest

    Dec 16, 2007
  8. Kelly Lee

    Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

    Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Wow, I learned something new! I didn't know they ever made one without a 1/4" full range output.

    OK, these guys can get you hooked up. Just make sure you tell them it is for a speaker connection. http://procablesnsound.com/
  9. Nick Kay

    Nick Kay

    Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    For the record, the term is not balanced, it's XLR. There are a variety of cables that can be balanced - even regular old 1/4". In this case, though, it's not actually balanced. The ground pin is not used for speaker-level signals. That style of connector is called an XLR.

    And yes, you can use a XLR to 1/4" cable AS LONG AS IT IS RATED FOR SPEAKER USE (most are for line- and instrument-level signals). That means at least 18AWG wires, preferably larger (my speaker cables are all 14AWG and 12AWG). It's really tough to find those now, since XLR has been almost completely replaced by Speakon for carrying powered signals. I'd personally just take a regular old 1/4" speaker cable (NOT instrument cable) and replace one of the ends with a female XLR connector
  10. pauldebass


    May 8, 2006
    thanks. I had looked at that service manual yesterday. I think I'll do the add a female xlr to a speaker cable.So they don't use a the ground pin. Shouldn't be too hard to do. Still it's weird how they didn't provide a 1/4" out. I see some PA cabs like that with only speakon connectors
  11. I know I'm resurrecting a dead thread, but I have a 4ohm cab, and I'm looking for a head. I found a good deal for this TE head on Craigslist, but I see in those pictures that in order to use it with my cab, I must use the 3-prong connection...right? So if I understand correctly, cables with a 1/4" jack on one end and an XLR on the other aren't really manufactured, but you need to either custom order it or do it yourself?
  12. You'll need to take a look inside to see what pins are in use, then make up a cable. Very basic stuff for anyone who can solder.

    Actually, I wonder if someone didn't customise that one in the pics, Trace usually label the XLR pins on the amp chassis and cabs that use them. You might find the craigslist one has 1/4" jacks.
  13. NO.
    That cable from Seismic is a line level patch cable, NOT a speaker cable. The cable this amp would need will be made with proper speaker cable (14-16AWG), a 1/4" TS male connector (not TRS in the Seismic balanced line cable); and female XLR with I believe pin 2 (and maybe 3?) positive, and pin 1 negative.

    Are you looking at THIS RIG?
  14. I'm looking at the same model head (AH350X), but not that particular CL post.

    Does anyone know where I can purchase the proper xlr to 1/4" cable?
  15. You're not listening. There's 3 pins. Only two are in use so it's a lottery. Get it wrong and you could fry the amp.

    Better solution would be to have the xlr out replaced with a speakon, then you can buy all your speaker cables and there's no getting mixed up with audio ones.
  16. My cab does have a Speakon connection in the back, so this looks like it could be a good option. Do you have any idea how much this would cost, or where I could get this done?
  17. Jim C

    Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

    Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I've owned this amp; it did not come with a speaker cable, and I could not find the proper unit available.

    As mentioned above; this is not rocket science but if you cross ground with L1 you will kill the amp, and using thin mic cable could also pose problems.

    I bought an XLR end, some 14-2 SJO cable, and the correct end for the cabinet. Open the amp and determine which pins are which (don't remember what the pin out was) and make the cable (or pay someone to do so). The only issue could be phasing with another TE cabinet if you were to hook 2 up and they used some whacked pinout on their cabinet end.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.