Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by air_leech, Feb 17, 2001.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I taught they were supposed to be good with those Celestion speakers, bass reflex ports, metal grills, carpet covers etc.

seems like no one here plays them. whats wrong with them then?

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´ve got Trace cabs. 1x15 and 2x10. They are really reliable and can stand lots of abuse. Why not many use these are probably because they are expensive and have their own sound. A bit throwty and sterile. You ither love them or hate them.
    I´m going with bag end when I have the money.

3. Dave S...

Dave S...

Oct 13, 2000
    They are a well built cabinet...I've got a small 1x15" with a horn (the 1153 with a small horn from about '95...didn't last long!)

Trace cabs seem to sound best with Trace heads...I think that's the key to them. with other stuff, they don't seem to be particularly outstanding, just decent.

They ARE pretty durable, it seems. Just remember that the XLR plug on the back is a SPEAKER-LEVEL input, NOT a mic out!!! Hardly anybody uses XLR plugs for speaker cables, and now that the Neutrik Speakons are so popular, no one probably will again... be aware.

Best Wishes

4. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I use em, they are pretty durable. BUT just today I blew the cone out of a 10", I live very close to a TE distributor, excellent customer service. The are reconing the old speaker, plus they gave me a brand new one for $25!

5. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    Nothing's wrong with them. They are good efficient durable cabinets. They are also British-made, which may explain your question. The British pound makes them expensive in the USA and just about everywhere else. And our Yankie friends probably prefer made-in-USA amps and cabinets.

6. I played a 4X10" on the weekend and it sounded good through a SWR 350 especially the mids and highs but it just wasn't as punchy as the Genz-Benz I ended up buying it has the good highs, lows and exceptional mids but a pain in the ass to carry around.

7. I've owned (and still own) several different pieces of TE gear and it all has be top quality and great sounding. I would like to mention though that I haven't owned anything post-Gibson. I've heard that there is a difference in quality and construction after Gibson bought Trace.

8. I've got a Trace 1048H 4x10 cab to go with my SMC300 Trace amp. It's got a high mids heavy sound- quite grindy, that cuts through well.
    the carpet covering has soaked up a fair amount of beer/cider, thanks to the efforts of a hyperactive covers band singer:rolleyes:
    see my topic moaning about the amp, though.