1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Featured Trace ELF Combos from Trace Elliot Deliver Big Bass Amp Sound in Small Footprint

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Feb 5, 2021.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    MERIDIAN, MS — There have been many small bass amplifiers on the market, yet none have sounded like their full-sized counterparts… until now. Trace Elliot® introduces Trace ELF Combos, taking the finest speaker components and delivering on big tone, all in an ultralight, ultraportable package that players can carry in one hand.

The ELF 1x8 Combo measures 12.0” x 10.2” x 13.3” and weighs only 17 pounds, while the slightly stockier ELF 1x10 Combo measures 13.3” x 12.0” x 14.0” and weighs just 18 pounds. Both units are purpose-built to amplify the player’s skill and the tone of their instrument, while being expandable and flexible to meet the needs of the setting. For instance, when it’s time for a big gig, take an ELF Combo and simply use the ultra-quiet Trace DI to easily send the optimized tone to the house. The Trace DI is ideal for recording applications as well.

The magic of the ELF Combo is in the built-in Trace Elliot ELF ultra-compact bass amplifier. Weighing just 1.6 pounds and able to fit inside a back pocket, the ELF is the most portable, gig-worthy amp the industry has ever seen. Upon its release, users were impressed with the ELF’s solid, fan-cooled 200 W RMS at 4 ohm impedance. The panel offers plenty of options, including a wide-range input gain control with signal-level indicator and 3-band rotary equalizer that emulates the response of classic Trace Elliot multi-band graphic EQ filters. Ultra-high preamp input impedance, at more than 10 mega ohms, provides maximum sensitivity when using passive pickups, while the post EQ balanced XLR DI output with ground lift sends classic Trace Elliot tone to a mixing console or recording device. A 1/4" headphone output allows for quiet practice.

The ELF amp proved that good things come in small packages, and now it’s gotten even better with Trace ELF Combos, enabling bass players to be even more gig-ready. To learn more about the ELF product line, visitwww.TraceElliot.com.

Retail: 1x10 $599.99

1x8 $579.99

Attached Files:

EatS1stBassist and Zbysek like this.
  2. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I love the idea of these, but I really, really wish they’d make a 2x8 combo option to pair with the existing cab.

don21480 and Brad Maestas like this.
  3. This elf brings to mind Trace Elliot's BLX 130 SM combo. It had big balls and delivered mightily. Its odd look to dared you blink first. To my eye, this elf just looks small.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

TE surely knows how to capitalize over a design.
    As cool as the Elf can be it may be time to bring out something else.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  5. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    The BLX80 was my first proper bass amp. Great little combo with a clever and efficient porting design that allowed the meagre power rating to punch well above its weight. Unfortunately, neodymium magnet design speakers were yet to take off at that time, so it was also bloody heavy.

DJ Bebop and LHbassist like this.
  6. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Howell, Michigan
    Did they remove that compressor?

7. LHbassist

LHbassist Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    I tried the expensive ELF 2x8 cab at a local store.. really- does anyone expect real bass to come out of one of these cabs? I wanted so much to believe...and to be able someday to fill a room with killer bass out of a 20 pound package. But, no- these are not gig worthy for anything more than really low volume gigs with no drums. Yes, I own small lightweight neo cabs... but the minimum sized cab- to my ears, that is capable of the air movement and fullness that makes a bass sound like, a bass- is a 1-12.
    The Trace ELF head sounds fairly respectable through larger cabs.. and it's a great size for say, taking on the road in one pack- in a gig bag compartment.
    Same with the Phil Jones stuff- killer tone, high quality- but those tiny drivers... ah, nope. That's just my opinion. Yeah, I know- your opinion might differ.

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I 'd quite like that 1x8...if it does not have that baked it tone.

9. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Why even bother with a 1x8 for $20 less, and only 1 lb difference (or vice versa on the 1x10)? Seems like make one or the other...

But curious to try one someday, in any event.

10. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Probably because it would make a cute little stack on top of the 2x8 cab.

Zbysek likes this.
  11. AV8R

AV8R

Feb 12, 2017
    "Cute little stack" indeed.

I recently joined a Motown revival band (after not gigging for over 30 years) and chose the Trace Elliot system based on past experience. Yes, Trace Elliot is a way different company with way different equipment than it had back when I was actively gigging back in the 80's, but I went with them again anyway after reading many positive user reviews from various sites. I ended up getting the TE 1x8" Combo with the 2x8" Cab and, after playing our first gig together last month - I was thoroughly impressed with the power, range and tone that this baby stack was able to produce at an outdoor gig (played through a 4-string Fender Precision Bass with a single passive pickup). During our sound check, I walked out 50 yards in front of the stage area while playing (wirelessly) and as was able to clearly hear my instrument in the mix - even with the volume controls on the combo only turned up to 50% on both the drive and level controls. And the speakers sounded smooth as glass - no tremors, buzz or "farting-out", even when I pushed it - those 8" Faital drivers are pretty amazing for their size. My bandmates were even surprised by the amount of volume the little TE stack could cleanly generate and after the gig, we laughed about how things have seemingly come full circle - the bass player used to be the one lugging the giant cabs to gigs to get decent sound. Now the keyboardist and drummer have all of the backaches.

Even if we end up doing bigger venues, I'm not worried. The DI in the combo can be fed into a PA or in-house system and my cabinet will simply be my on-stage monitor. The flexibility and portability of this system is perfect for what's expected of it. Grant it, it may not be able to keep up with certain ultra-loud styles of music (and I likely wouldn't recommend it to someone who actively plays those types of styles live), but for more laid-back music with gentler playing-styles (Motown, Oldies, Country, Blue-grass, Jazz) this amp combo can really fit the bill.

I feel I chose wisely with this one. And the reviewers out there who also gave it a chance were right about its capabilities - as long as it's understood that it can't do everything. But when it's used in a musical context for what it CAN do, it does it extremely well.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    DrMole, Heavy Blue, Zbysek and 3 others like this.
  12. My guess is the acoustics would change dramatically. The cab is the same size while the speaker size is very different (I'm thinking more depth than diameter).

JPaulGeddy likes this.
  13. AV8R

AV8R

Feb 12, 2017
    Actually, the 1x8" cabinet is slightly smaller than the 1x10" cab (by an inch or two in width and height - but depth is almost identical to the 10" cab). Also, the 8" speaker is canted back slightly by about 10-15 degrees to give the sound a bit more upward projection (likely so more sound reaches your ears). The 2x8" speakers are straight forward for maximum forward projection.

14. Weird, I did not know that

15. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Does this new version still use Faital drivers on the 8" combo?

16. AV8R

AV8R

Feb 12, 2017
    Yes it does, Lowtonejoe. And while the lowest frequencies produced by the 8" drivers are likely not as prolific as the larger 10" driver, what you get in return are frequencies focused in the low-midrange area which really helps which clarity, tone and projection (especially if you're using a Precision Bass - it really enhances the tonal frequencies that makes a Precision bass sound like a Precision bass). I feel these 8" Faital drivers are kind of a sweet-spot in terms of size and the frequencies they can cleanly produce - and best of all they'll never sound muddy or boomy, just due to the fact that they just can't produce as much low-end frequencies as they do in the low-mid region (which highlights that signature warm, smooth, articulate sound that Precision basses are known for). It really is a great marriage of guitar and amp which brings out the best in the capabilities of both.

Zbysek, Bamboo633 and Lowtonejoe like this.
  17. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    I bought mine right before Christmas. Amazing volume and tone for such a small size. I have the 1 by 10 combo. I'm looking to add the 1 by 10 cabinet for larger venues. So far, I have played small to medium venues without a hitch.

Zbysek likes this.
  18. JCW308

JCW308

Mar 28, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    They need to move on from the Elf series. It's been played to death.

19. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    They do make a 2x8! I have one and love it. Sounds great with my GK MB 500. It's rated 400w RMS and only 27lbs.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  20. JCW308

JCW308

Mar 28, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    He said "combo"

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021