1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trace Eliot Transit B vs Tech 21 Bass Fly Rig

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sunnymahat, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Tech 21 Bass Fly Rig

43.8%
  2. Trace Eliot Transit B

56.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Just sold my Zoom B3 because it had gotten really beaten up and then digital stuff are always risky when they're old.
    Thinking about getting either the Transit B or Bass Fly Rig because I don't think I can handle or afford a full fledged pedal.
    And I don't have the option of trying before buying because I live in this remote city called Kathmandu. I'd like anyone experienced with any of these pedals to give me a straight, working man's review of the pedals so that I can order them from the US.
    Thank you in advance dear bass players.

BrentSimons likes this.
  2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I'd take Transit B, without blinking twice, but then again I do happen to love the Trace Elliot sound, so guess I am slightly biased.

Though for one there are much more controls directly related to the preamp part on the Transit B pedal, meaning much more direct control over your tone, instead of the mainly non related extra whistles and bells of the Bass Fly Rig.

And it might just be me, but to me it seems that the Transit B also is more sturdy and of higher build quality overall, compared to the Bass Fly Rig that appears to me as slightly flimsy, plastic like and cheap looking, but that might just be me.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    BrentSimons likes this.
  3. Transit B.

Unless you want to sound like an svt or b15.

Then it is flyrig all the way

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. jcbofa

jcbofa

Apr 14, 2009
    Pretty much what Daniel just said but I’ll elaborate a bit.

I have played live through them both and I’ve run FOH on the BFR. Both pedals are great options and sound great. I’ve run most of the popular preamp DIs discussed here on TB.

My main board every week at a large church centers around the Mesa Subway DI to FOH with A&H ME1 in-ears. My mid-size gig board centers around the Aguilar Tone Hammer DI pedal into FOH with an SVR Workingman Pro 12 on stage alongside a monitor wedge. I usually prefer my Lakland DJ5 with Seymour Duncan Apollo Jazz Bass linear humbucking pickups.

I was looking for a simple, small DI pedal with a decent EQ, compressor and tuner at least. Both the BFR and Transit B fit that bill well.

The BFR excels with the SVT sound (like Sansamps do) and also has some very useful effects built-in. It only has one wet DI out, but it does sound great. If you need the effects as part of your basic sound, this is your choice. The effects are well done and give a lot of flexibility.

I chose the Transit B because I have grown to prefer both wet and dry DI outs for live. Some FOH guys don’t know how to leverage the power of both, but some do and the results are really sweet and give flexibility for the room at FOH. It’s Drive section, 5-band EQ, and compressor are all very solid and the unit is dead quiet no matter how you tweak it. For me, effects are not critical when playing live generally. I found it a little easier to craft several bread-and-butter tones that are conveniently foot-switchable - clean, mild OD, TE mid-scoop, etc.

You can’t go wrong with either.

BrentSimons and Zoobiedood like this.
  5. I've never used the Transit B but I own and use the BFR everyday and I can safely say that it's a gem of a pedal.
    What I don't like about the BFR -
    The octaver does not track well, at least not for me. I use an MXR Bass Octave Deluxe that far surpasses the octaver on the BFR in all aspects; tone, tracking, tweakability.
    The fuzz is usable but okay. The range really helps you dial in the texture of fuzz that you wish to use but the overall nature of it is sub-par when compared to something like the SA AfterShock.
    The filter is not good enough at least to my ears.
    The tuner is just a tad bit slow.

The good -
    Great preamp tone. It definitely gives you that classic tone which is further enhanced by the character knob. That one knob alone can get you from warm and mellow to bright and harsh depending on what your needs are.
    The compressor, in my humble opinion, is great. Transparent and punchy.
    The ability to switch the boost before or after the preamp is amazing. You could use it as a clean or a dirty boost.
    I really dig the chorus on this pedal even though I can't tweak it enough.
    The headphone amp works great as well.
    It's built like a tank, all metal body and switches. I've used it pretty roughly to say the least and all I've ever had to worry about is the occasional "knob-hunt" where a knob cover would come off in my gig bag.

Hope this helps.
    Greetings from Delhi

jwindham and BrentSimons like this.
  6. JCW308

JCW308

Mar 28, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    I have a transit B on the way. Already have a Transit A for acoustic and it's fantastic. Works very well with the 1Spot adapter, too!

Paco I likes this.
  7. JCW308

JCW308

Mar 28, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    Received the Transit B. The DRIVE isn't impressive (to me at least) and the compressor kills your tone even on the lowest settings. I'll have to play around with it some more I guess. Nice design though.