Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Ellior malfunction - help wanted!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DK Thrust, Jan 18, 2006.

1. DK Thrust

DK Thrust

Jan 18, 2006
    Can anyone help with this. I've a Trace Elliot GP7 bass amp but all the controls have stopped responding. If I plug my bass into it, I get a very loud slightly distorted tone but can't turn it down, up, change the eq, etc. If I plug my bass into the effects return socket, I can use the volume knob but that is all. Anyone have any idea as to what this problem might be and how I can resolve it? Thanks.

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Well, sounds like something has wrong in the pre amp section. About the only thing you can do is get the amp to a tech and have it looked at. Sorry.

3. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    British Audio Service www.britishaudioservice.com

It's the best TE service center that I know of. Near Chicago. Call or e-mail them with your questions. I'm sure that they can help.

4. DK Thrust

DK Thrust

Jan 18, 2006
    Thanks guys. In in the end, I took the case off, gave everything a clean with one of those small brushes they use for dusting the insides of PCs, and it now seems to be working OK. Huzzah!

5. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    I'm glad it worked out for you but as a manufacturer and the hair on the back of my neck goes up when I read that somebody had opened their amp and was brushing the inside.

So, for all that don't know, MAN, DON'T TOUCH THE CAPS WITH ANYTHING THAT HAS ANY METAL ON IT OR YOUR NAKED FINGER UNTIL YOU'VE DISCHARGED THEM!

Okay, thanks, I feel better now.

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

for future reference, how do discharge them, and how do we know that they have been fully discharged?