Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot 1153 speaker replacement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DMX, Mar 14, 2006.

1. DMX

DMX

Mar 10, 2006
    Oxford, UK
    Hi,
    first proper post on the forums and I could do with a bit of advice.

I'm currently using a Trace V4 200w valve head through an Ampeg 2x10 and a Trace 1153 1x15. The problem is that the little 1153 seems to have a problem at loud volumes, the speaker distorts heavily and I can see it jumping and vibrating quite disconcertingly, especially on low notes. The Ampeg handles the same situations fine. I've already destroyed the original speaker (although that may have been on its way out already) and replaced it with another Celestion 250w, but that also seems to be having the same problems. Would replacing it with something with a much higher power rating like an Eminence Kappa 15LF be a good idea, or is it just that the 1153 is too small a box for such a loud band?

I don't want to be throwing good money after bad, so would appreciate your opinions on whether a better speaker would be the answer to my problems or whether I should look into getting a whole new cab.

Thanks,
    David

2. Awhile ago on ebay, there some users selling Celestion Trace 15" speakers. I decided to buy one for my 15c and I'm very impressed. 8ohm 300W.

I'm using a Trace 2x10 + 15 and a Trace 280W head.

Perhaps you're putting too much bass into your speakers? Sounds a bit odd for a new speaker to die out so quickly...!

Anyway, i think I have one of their new 15" speakers, and I'm VERY impressed. Huge frequency range and LOADS of power. I cna't use it in the house unless no one is in!

try contacting gm-audio. New speaker would prob cost around £100 tho... :meh: I got mine for £40 including shipping. They've gone on ebay for up to £60...

3. DMX

DMX

Mar 10, 2006
    Oxford, UK
    I think that's the exact speaker I bought! E-bay, £40 delivered, seemed like too good a deal to pass up. I don't think the new speakers dieing, just having trouble keeping up. Sounds great at lower volumes. I possibly am trying to put too much low end through it, I was just wondering if a different speaker would allow me to do that or if I should be looking for a meatier cab. If you see what I mean?!

4. DMX

DMX

Mar 10, 2006
    Oxford, UK
    So, does anyone have experience of using the Kappa 15LF in a small cabinet like the 1153?

5. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I would suggest dropping Dave at Avatar Speakers a line. He used to offer a compact 1x15 about the size of the 1153 with one of the high powered Eminence drivers. I wish he'd add it back to the line.