1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Trace Elliot 1524 with a buzz. $150 or trade

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by smperry, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Hi,

I traded with another TBer for this cabinet a few months ago. Writeup and picture is here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/...liot-1524-2x15-cab-cheap-713730/#post10012668

Right after I got it from him, it developed a buzz sound in the bottom speaker. I'm not sure what happened, as I tried it out in person and it sounded fine. Brought it back to my place, and it sounded like a fuzz box should. Just to be clear, I'm not blaming the previous seller...I just had some bad luck, or the cab didn't like it's new owner. :)

I noticed that there was a spot on the speaker I could touch to make the fuzz go away. I talked to a repair guy who suggested making sure the speaker is properly in place and check for small tears. I tried realigning the speaker but the fuzz is still there; now I can't find the spot that made it go away.

I don't feel like messing with it, or taking it to a repair shop and finding out it might need a new driver. I'll sell it for only $150 (local NY/CT/NJ area), or I'll trade it for something. bass? effects? recording equipment? small cab? keyboard? guitar? saxophone? bike? Try me...

The previous seller and I agree that this is a great sounding cab (with tube or solid state heads) when fully functional. I'm just being lazy. I'll post new pictures soon. It's been played a lot! But, even if it needs a new driver, this is cheap for a classic cab...

2. Mitchthebassplayer

Mitchthebassplayer

Jan 7, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Olinto, La Bella, JuleAmps, Epifani
    bump for my man Marshall and my old cab! I honestly have no idea what happened to the bottom speaker....I hadn't used it in a while and we blasted it pretty hard for a few hours and it sounded great....this cab has seen a bunch of recording sessions, a TON of gigs, and several tours....and that's just from ME! I think I was the 3rd owner and I put about $200 into refurbishing the cab (replaced the old logo with a newer metal one, put the red stripe on, and replaced the old cracked ports with new ones) and it always rocked hard....this is a STUPID LOW PRICE for an incredible 4 ohm 2x15 cab with some major tour mojo!

3. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks Mitch!

You heard the man...who wants it?

4. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    bump

5. creeperdet

creeperdet

Apr 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I had a similar problem with my Trace 2x10.

When I pulled the drivers out to replace them I noticed that part of the spider had come unglued and that's what was causing the buzz. The glue will only run you about $10.

If you were in the Chicago area I'd jump on these!

6. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Good to know. I actually talked to a repair guy that told me the same. If this doesn't sell for a couple weeks (when I might actually have time to look into fixing it), maybe I'll give it a go.

In the meantime, PMs returned. Still available.

7. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    If you weren't on the wrong end of the country...

8. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I had a buzz coming from an older speaker - once I pulled it and examined it from a better angle under good lights, I could see that the paper dust cap was pulling away from the cone, ever so slightly. I fixed my problem with a thin application of rubber cement.

9. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm going away for a week starting this weekend, but here's a bump just in case someone's able to get it before then.

10. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Back from California, so bumping this for the first time in a week and a half.

11. Tracebassplayer

Tracebassplayer Sometimes Darkness Can Show You The Light.

Dec 15, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Should have brought it with you to calif, I would have met you and bought it.... If I had known you were going earlier... I have family there......:D

dammit... 46ca221f.

12. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    bump

13. Tracebassplayer

Dec 15, 2000
    Portland, OR
    the "How much you want for the carpet the came with it" bump

14. Wileee

Wileee

Jan 2, 2008
    VA
    I just paid $250.00 for one of these here in VA. The seller really hated to let it go, but was leaving on a tour and had to cut down on his part of the gear being taken along. Really nice full sound.

Best wishes on the sale!

15. Tracebassplayer

Dec 15, 2000
    Portland, OR
    the .. 250 for a TE 1524, what a daaaawg ... bump :D

16. Wileee

Wileee

Jan 2, 2008
    VA
    Actually it was $250.00 for the 1524, $75.00 for an empty 2x10 TE cab, and he gave me 2 SWR 100 watt 10" speakers for $20.00 each. The guy met me backstage last Friday night after the gig we were playing so I wouldn't have to drive an extra 100 miles to pick them up. Aren't Bass players wonderful?:D:D:D

17. wmheilma

wmheilma

Jan 5, 2010
    Perhaps the buzz is a piece of paper or something that got inside the port and is up against the speaker from behind. (When my kids were small, they tended to stick things into the ports on my cabs. Easy enough to pull a speaker and check.)

18. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Thought I had a buyer, but haven't heard from him in a while, so...bump. Someone buy this please.

Tracebassplayer - I'll send you the carpet dimensions later.

19. Tracebassplayer

Dec 15, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Cool. Thanks...
    If ya come out this way again, bring it! I'll take it but I can't afford the shipping at the moment. :(

20. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    bump

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.