1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trace-Elliot 2-10" speaker cabinet with variable porting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pepsbro, Jul 4, 2007.

1. pepsbro

pepsbro

Jun 16, 2007
    Rhode Island
    There is one on ebay with a buy it now of 325.00. I tried looking for info on this cab and could not find anything. Are they good cabs. Would like to use it for two setups one with a 410 the other with a single 15

trace 350sm
    Fender Jazz MIA

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I used to have one and I remember it being a pretty good cab as an extension. On it's own it struggled (like most 210's) but with a 15, it was fine.

The variable porting was a bit a a gimick. Closing one port lowers the tuning frequency. It effectively raises the -3dB point so it robbs some of you're bottom end, but the roll-off isn't as sharp. Sealing both ports turns it into a sealed cab and the rolloff becomes shallower again. Personally I though both ports open was best both in terms of sound and performance.

I don't have it any more and to be honest, I can't remember why I got rid of it............I think that was about the time Eden first became available in Austr and I wend and bought a couple .........

3. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    played one for 13 years; great cab, but there's better now.

Closed it sounded tight and accurate; one port open was less boxy, lowers the -3 point so it went deeper, but the midrange wasn't as focussed. Two ports open was loud and clear, but with less midrange - best for max volume. The ports seemed to determine how much of a mid-scoop you got. The 2x10 was a lot more perceptible to the porting thing than their 1x15's.

Cheers,
    Cameron

4. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    just get a new trace 210 and you will be a lot happier !!!