Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot 2103H + 1153 + AH150-7

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AllodoX, Jul 3, 2001.

1. I've been thinking of buying a new AMP.. I don't want to spend a sh#itload of cash on it, so i've been checking out some stores in my area..

One of the stores had a nice stack for sweet price..

it consisted of a Trace Elliot AH150-7 AMP ( 150w RMS @ 4 ohm )
    and 2 cabs :
    - Trace Elliot 2103H ( 2x10" + RF-horn, 200w RMS @ 8 ohm )
    - Trace Elliot 1153 ( 1x15", no RF-horn, 200w RMS @ 8 ohm )

Total package is about 1.75m x 0.5m x 0.5m
    So it's a pretty slim stack..

the salesman gave me a demonstration with an Ibanez BTB 5-string bass, and imho it sounded pretty good..

My band is making plans for some gigs ( 150++ heads in audience.. ), and our gigs keep getting bigger and bigger...

so.. what do you think ? is that amp suitable, or should i keep my wallet closed and my eyes open some more ?

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I've just posted on another thread entitled 'Trace Elliott'. I have to say that it's the best stuff I've ever used. I have a AH250 head (an old one) a 4 x 10" cabinet and a 1x15 cabinet (all Trace). I think that this system is probably loud enough for my needs now. but in the future I'll get a more powerful Trace head.

Looking at your profile you've already got a 150 watt amp - can you add another cab to it as this could give you the same power/volume at a much lower price! If you want a stack, why not try to get a more powerful head with that speaker combination - as it is you'd be spending a lot of money for no gain in power!! Happy Hunting!!

3. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I have the EXACT setup you played (Including the BTB.) I think it sounds great, but I wish I had waited for the 300H head instead. I have to push the 150 pretty hard to cut it against my guitarist and drummer.

4. Yes, and it sounds like S... :( that's why i'm browsing for a new set.. :)

Heheh.. cool :D

About the 300H head.. the speakers are 200w @ 8 ohm, and the amp is 300w @ 4 ohm..

Won't that sound like poo and/or kill the speakers / amp ?

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    If you have two 8 ohm cabs, and your head is 4 ohms, it will work fine. Two 8 ohm cabs together are actually 4 ohms, so to answer your question, as long as you are using both cabs with your amp, NO, it will sound very good, and will not hurt your cabs or head.

Edit:

Also, seeing that the head is 300 watts, you have to be careful and not push it too hard or you will push the cabs too much since they are only 200 watts RMS.

6. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
  7. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    My TE cabs can take quite a bit of wattage, I think I may be underpowering them with the 150.

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I can understand why your lookign for a better sounding stack - but maybe it's worth looking for 300w RMS cabinets to allow you to find something with more headroom - my TE cabs are both 300w RMS and 8 ohm impedance, allowing me to put all of the 250 watts from my head into the cabs. I only recently added the 1 x 15" cab which improved the sound greatly (before that I only the had the 4 x 10 so I was only able to use part of the 250 watts).

9. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    As a general rule cabs can take more wattage then they are rated at. I'm not sure how much, but I wouldn't be affraid to put 225-250 watts through my cabs rated at 200. Thats not to say I recommend it....

10. Dave S...

Dave S...

Oct 13, 2000
    The Trace stuff usually doesn't have any kind of power limiter...when the input gain is set properly (right below input overload), you tend to use up all your amplifier power by the time the post gain knob is between 3-4.

Trace amps will DEFINATELY provide a peak wattage of 2x the RMS rating at whatever impedance. I used to have a Peavey amp that (with the internal limiter engaged) was rated at 250 watts RMS @4 ohms and provided 285 watts PEAK at 4@ohms.

I've had a Trace 7215 combo (200 watts RMS @4 ohms) and an 1153T (1x15" with tweeter) cab and have found them to be loud enough for most gigs--depending on how many cabs the guitar player has...)

Either way, get what works for you...find YOUR sound (and consider whether you may have a different bass later on, too!)

Best Wishes