Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TRACE ELLIOT 4x12???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DEVILMAN, Feb 27, 2002.

1. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Greetings & Felicitations,
    On the back of the March '96 issue of Bass Player there was an ad for a TE rig & BASS? that I've never ran in with. Has anyone ever seen, heard, played or owned such a beast? I believe the # for the 4x12's was 1248. The head was a V-Type & the cabs resemble guitar style enclosures. Are they (un)desireable, enquiring minds want to know!

later,
    Belial

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    The Trace V-type heads are their all valve range of heads - these are meant to be nice and meaty. The 4 x 12 cabinet is in their bass enclosures for their V-type range.

I play Trace stuff - and AH500-12 head and the 1048H (4 x 10 with horn) and a 1518 (1 x 15) cab.

I like the Trace stuff but I've only ever used and heard their solid state stuff (mine has a valve type preamp - but there isn't a valve near it, it just adds sort of valve warmth through some type of triode circuitry)

The Trace V-type stuff is pretty dear here, so I would imagine it's gonna be pretty dear on your side of the pond! Although, since Gibson bought them, and are trying to move manufacturing of the amps to the States - it may get cheaper for you guys!!

If you get the chance I'd recommend you try it - you may like what you hear!!! By the sound of it you liked what you saw!!!

Oh yeah, the Trace Elliot bass that you mention is the T-Bass! It's a Jazz type bass either 4 or 5 string options. Their is a novelty feature in the headstock where the tuning pegs a canted back at an angle more suited to tuning than standard vertical pegs. It also make the headstock look smaller. I haven't tried on yet, but am tempted by their 5 strings - I don't have a Jazz type bass yet!!!