Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot AH1200sm Volume HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    My main amp is a Trace Elliot AH1200sm. It has 1200 watts rms and 2400 watts peak. It looks like it has 600 on each side. I have an Ampeg 4X10 and Im thinking about upgrading or changing amps. I really like the ampeg but I need to turn the volume way up since the Ampeg is only 400 or 500 watts. I am not using the other side so maybe I need another amp. Any reccomendations if I should add an ampeg 15 or stay with Trace Elliot gear and sell the ampeg. I would rather go lightweight if possible but I need something powerful enough to use the Trace with. Any help would be great

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Man, that Trace head has plenty of power! You should be getting about 350-400 watts at 8ohms. If that doesn't make it loud enough and the amp is working properly, get rid of that cab! I personally have never been impressed with Ampeg's cabs.

Try running two 4ohm cabs. Maybe an Avatar 410 and a 212 both 4 ohm cabs. That should be loud enough for nearly any venue. You could go insane and double that (two 410 + two 212) just make each cab 8ohms and you would probably kill people with it! :p

3. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Playing 600smx head with ampeg 8x10" box was heaven for me, I highly recommend that combination, and you should add another 4x10" cab , of course... or 115

4. litoljon

litoljon

Oct 30, 2004
    Valencia, CA
    AH1200? ... wow! :cool:

way cool!

->arthur

5. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    Thanks for the help. I am defenitly going to buy an avatar setup. It looks like the 410 neo and one of the 15's will do for now. I think the sb115 looks cool but it might be able to run with the sb112. Does anyone have experience with the sb115 over the other 15's?