Trace Elliot AH150 SMC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by enigmaticzidon, Jan 13, 2006.

1. enigmaticzidon

Dec 5, 2005
    Looking to buy this head but wondering if anyone has any experience in using these... if so what did you think

also if anyone knows anything else about them please let me know

2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    That would be a similar amp to the Trace I once owned, so perhaps my comments are worth something.

I had an AH300 SM amp, which I suppose was the predecessor to the SMC range. I don't know what else differed between the SM and SMC ranges besides the SMCs having built-in compression, maybe they are practically the same. The AH150 SMC, obviously being the lower powered version of the series, could have some problems delivering enough power in some settings. I had some problems with my AH300 SM when it was run into an 8 Ohm 4x10 - I couldn't quit compete with a Marshall stack and a hard-hitting drummer. Whether 150 watts is enough for you or not, I can't say, but it's worthy of noting that it's usually not enough in rock bands.

The sonic character of my amp was quite mid-oriented. The basic tone yielded no huge rumble and no super crisp treble. The EQ was flexible enough to help you get some of that, but with the EQ bypassed the sound was a bit nasal. I played a Mexico Jazz bass at the time, and had no trouble getting Geddy-esque growl by digging in a little. With the right approach it could sound quite aggressive and gritty for a solid state amp.

Everything about the amp was quite adequate, aside from the fact that it became underpowered when I joined a louder band. You should be aware that it sort of has its own sound, like most Trace gear - if you're going for a hi-fi, transparent sort of tone, look elsewhere. If you're looking for an aggressive rock tone, it might be a good fit. Though if you're in an aggressive rock band, 150 watts probably won't do.

I sold my Trace because I wanted a cleaner sound. 3½ years later, I've changed my mind and wouldn't mind owning one again.
  3. enigmaticzidon

Dec 5, 2005
    Thanks for the advice unfortunatly the head slipped out ov my hands as i forgot to check ebay lol but thanks again for the adivce