Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace-Elliot AH2005 + Cabs question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lildrgn, Sep 10, 2005.

1. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a 2x10 Avatar in the near future. It's rated at 8ohms. I have an 8ohm Ashdown 1x15 I plan on mating it with into my Trace-Elliot AH2005 Series 6.

Now, the T-E simply says "minimum 4 ohm load" and nothing more. The Ashdown says "300w @ 8 ohms". If I add on the Avatar 2x10 at 8 ohms, it brings my impedance to 4 ohms. But since the Ashdown is rated 300w at 8 ohms, does that mean it'll run at 150w instead? And would the Avatar then be 150w as well?

And if 4 ohms is the minimum load on the Trace, what is it's preferred or maximum load?

So many questions!! Thanks in advance.

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Trace-Elliot AH2005 Series 6 head...hmm, I'm not familiar with that one. What is it's rated wattage at 4ohms?

OK, depending on what your rated wattage is at 4 ohms depends on how much each cab will see. If your amp puts out 300 watts at 4 ohms then each one of your cabs will see 150 watts each. It's really simple, just divide by two.

There really isn't a "maximum" load for a SS amp. You could be at 16 or even 32 ohms with no problem. You would lose a lot of wattage but you won't hurt the amp.

"Minimum" ohms is what you need to be concerned with. Your amp says 4 ohms. That basically says you can run any combination of cab(s) that do not give a lower total impedenance than 4 ohms. I guess you could also call it "preferred" since this is where you will get maximum power without hurting your amp.

3. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Cool, thanks for the reply.

Dunno. It doesn't say on the back of the amp...

Funny thing is, I've been running a 1048T (300w@4ohms) and the Ashdown (300w@8ohms) together for years and with no problems (knock wood!).

I'm pretty confident that I'll be getting an Avatar 210 in the next week or so, at 8ohms, so my impedance will be 4 and everything will be hunky-dory with the T-E.

BTW, the best shot I have of the rig is here:

[​IMG]

I'd like to put the 15" on the floor and vertically stack the 2x10 on top. I'll miss the matching "look" of the TE cab, but my back will thank me for it.

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    You have been running at a total of 4 ohms. The 1048T was an 8 ohm cab. Well, I should say I have never heard of a 4 ohm version.

Also, I think your head should be the AH200. I don't know :confused: what the 5 designates. It should be 200 watts at 4 ohms and just over 150 watts at 8 ohms.

5. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    To be honest, you probably know more about my stuff than I do. Seriously. :)

On the back of the cab, it says 300w @ 4 ohms, FWIW. The back of the amp says A2005 (or S; it's handwritten and hard to tell!).

Cheers!