Trace elliot ah300-7, need mike dirnts sound!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basspunk2005, Feb 3, 2005.

1. basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    hey i have a trace elliot ah3007 head going through a trace elliot 4x10. I also got a mike dirnt signature bass. I want to be able to get mikes sound from american idiot(album), for example holiday and jesus of suburbia.

the ah3007 has a 7band eq, pre shape, and compression.

i would be very greatful if somebody could work out his sound, as i have tried and tried and i am still not 100% happy with it.

2. zoran

May 10, 2002
    i doubt you can get his sound with trace elliot combo. I've never liked Fender bass on my trace rig...
  3. hmm. try out the sad face EQ, boost low mids and high mids, with the 60HZ pushed a bit too.

try without the preshape, have the graphic on.

set EQ balanced flat, and boost some low compression.

Also, if you have the valve/SS, turn it towards the valve.

not really sure what I'm talking about, becuase I havent tried that kinda of set up, the best i ever got to coming close to that sort of tone was a mix of the G3 and the P.. mmmm <creams> :hyper:
  4. basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    lol ok cheers ill give that a try later I have allready said i have a trace 4x10 i was thinking of getting a 2x10 also to go on top is that a good idea or should i go with a 1x15
  5. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    A couple of months ago, there was a Mike Dirnt issue of Guitar World's Bass Guitar magazine. In it, he talks about his "sound". He's pretty particular about his EQ settings--there's a particular frequency that he boosts a LOT (i think it's 1100) to accentuate his pick attack.

Anyway, get a back copy of that issue and you can see all the gear stuff there. The article goes into his EQ preferences.
  6. basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    yea, i got the total guitar bass edition with him in it and he says he likes to boost the 2k as it gives him a clicky sound(for example the holiday solo), i got that bit its just all the other eq settings. have you got a link where you can see scanned in pics or anything please?
  7. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    If you've got that info, I'd say you're about as close as you'll get with gear. You may be able to cop some of his style with your hands.

Ultimately, you're NOT/NOT going to be able to sound EXACTLY like ANY onther player. The sooner you make peace with your own uniqueness, the faster you'll progress as a player.
  8. basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    yea i got a few eq settings that i like myself i was just woundering how to get his sound
  9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    practice a lot - ;)
  10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If you're trying to copy his tone on an album, you need to find out what gear he used in the studio, not what he plays through live. Its usually VERY different, and most times at the call of the producer. Even if he used a live amp, odds are it was blended with another channel that was a DI run through some uber-expensive piece of studio gear.
  11. warning(2000), studio setup
    signal is split into
    2x vintage svt (one is clean and one is dirtier)each into a 810 or mesa 410+115.
    1x 70´ yamaha g-100 guitaramp into openback mesa 410 or a GK800rb
    other amps included
    sunn coliseum + 215
    mesa M-2000 + eden 215
    the lows through the svt´s
    mids through sunn
    top-end bite through the yamaha or GK or even a hartke 4000.

"bassgear mars 2002"

start eh... collecting!
  12. basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    yea i found a cool sound on my amp earlier. pre shape on and the eq flat with a little compression, sounds basic but its got a nice overall tone.i like it and it sounds cool