Trace Elliot AH500-7 Specs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ukbassboy, Mar 19, 2006.

1. ukbassboy

Mar 19, 2006
    After getting back into bass after a few years off (blasphemy I know, but there were mitigating circumstances!) I am now looking at upgrading my amp and have come across a used but very new Trace Elliot AH500-7 for sale.
    Trace Elliot have a great reputation so not worried about its quality but I can't for the life of me find any detailed specs for it. The TE website just states that’s it 500w but doesn't give details of Impedance etc, so does anyone have any more info on them? Are the new models still as good as the old?
    I am looking at pairing this up with a 8ohm 4x10 cabinet (possibly Peavey) for gigging in small/medium sized pubs so ideally want at least 200w @ 8ohms.
    Cheers in advance for any help.
  2. Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
  3. ukbassboy

Mar 19, 2006
    Unfortunately its one of the new (US?) version so unfortunately not on there site. Great site though!
  4. I take it you're talkling about the hottie on the UK ebay just now?

Looks nice. Ask him if it is in full working order.
    A buddy in a music store told me he visited the factory last week and was not impressed. their cabs atm are in great shape, although the amps and VERY behind in production. Personally, i think if it's ina music store, Trace won't send out dodgy stuff. But be careful.
    I went to try this amp at the weekend. Alas, no poower in.

Also, I imagine it'll be 500W @ 4 ohm. So with your 4x10, you'll have a ton of headroom, producing something like 300W? :)
  5. RuneMIkkelsen

Jan 15, 2005
    I know that the AH 500x is 4 ohm.
  6. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Yip, 500 W @ 4 ohm.

Trust me, that amp will have power to burn. With a 2x10 and a 1x15, my AH350 has never passed 3/10 volume at a gig. When it did, I got asked to turn down. That was at a reasonable sized bar. And the one you're looking at is an extra 150 W.
  7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Remember guys, we can't use our past experience with Trace when talking about this amp. This is a new product from a company that has been resurrected from the ashes. It is not the same Trace we all knew and loved.

Saying the AH350SMX or whatever has killer power doesn't mean the new line will. They could be rated like most other amps out there now. I hope not but you never know. These amps are just too new.
  8. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    To my knowledge, no Trace Elliot equipment was ever manufactured in the US. Although Gibson claimed to be building a new US factory for TE, it never actually happened, other than the production of a few Gibson Goldtone amps.
  9. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Whoops, I thought this was a '90s one like mine. My mistake!