Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot AH600/7 head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bent23, Feb 21, 2001.

1. bent23

bent23 Guest

Jan 3, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    I received my Trace Elliot AH600/7 head today. The seller stated that the AH600 can handle a 2ohm load. There are two speaker outputs on the back, below EACH of the speaker jacks it says "minimum impedance 4 ohms", once for each jack. I take it this means I can only go as low as one 4 ohm cab per output, equaling 2 ohms of combined impedance. Or I could use one 8 ohm cab per output....Yes? The seller of this amp stated that he frequently drove a 2 ohm load (claiming 1200w@2ohms)

On the back of the amp it says "600 watts RMS" and 1200 watts Peak. Thus my scepticism.

Something else, when I requested a manual from Trace Elliot for this amp, all the customer service rep sent me was a PDF for the GP7SM Preamp, which IS the preamp used on my AH600, but NO info on the power amp section, hence my concerns regarding impedance as stated above. In addition, on the GP7SM manual, it states that "this preamp is used in the following amps and combos. The AH600SM is listed, but nowhere on my amp is it referred to as an AH600SM. "AH600/7" is printed on the back of the amp, and "GP7 SM" is printed on the front. So should I refer to this amp as a AH600/7 or AH600SM? I just don't understand the inconsistency.

If anyone has ANY information at all about the AH600/7 or AH600SM, or if you think you can shed some light on my oxygen-deprived brain, Please respond.

2. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    This probably wont help much,but I have an old Trace brochure that states these specs for the AH600SM:

Preamp Facilities...As GP7SM
    Output Stage...2 channel Solid State
    Output Power...300 + 300 watts RMS/1200 watts peak
    Output Impedance...4 ohms
    Dimensions...H 195 mm /W 530 mm /D 430 mm
    Weight....25.6 Kg.

Sounds like you can go down to 2 ohms as long as the load is split up between two 4 ohm cabs.I wouldn't run a two ohm load by daisy chaining two 4 ohm cabs into one output jack,not that you were planning on doing that.

But from what I've learned on this board,I'd say you wont have any problem with running an 8 ohm cab from each output.Its tube amps,not solid state that have to be matched exactly to the impedance load.

3. bent23

bent23 Guest

Jan 3, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks for the valuable information JimM.

You've provided me with more information regarding this amp than I've been able to gather in the past week via Google Search.

Thanks again...

Brent

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    so this is a stereo head? did you ever find out?
    i just got mine and i want to find out

thanks
    steve