Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot AH600 Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bent23, Feb 13, 2001.

1. bent23

bent23 Guest

Jan 3, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    Anyone familiar with the Trace Elliot AH600/GP7 Bass Head/Amp? I have an opportunity to purchase one for around $400. The current owner doesn't have the manual or specs on it so I'm curious as to it's power output and general sonic quality. Any information would be HIGHLY appreciated.

B.S.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Hmm... I thought that the TE 600 heads came with the 12 band EQ, not the 7 band... oh well.

The TE head characteristics are usually described as "mid-rangy". And I suppose this is true. I have a AH300SM head (older model without compressor), which sounded very growly and punchy when I recorded through it. The AH600 heads should have enough power for just about anyone if you play it through decently efficient cabs (i.e. not Acme etc.), I believe they were somewhere around 600 watts (hence the name?). (My AH300SM is 280W @ 4 Ohms.)

Something played through a Trace Elliot will sound "Trace Elliot". Said to be quite suitable for rock, but perhaps misplaced in other genres. The spund is somewhat of an aquired taste, so if you like the TE sound, $400 bucks for that amp is a great deal. Of what I've heard and experienced are they very reliable as well.

3. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    That's a really good price for that amp, I would go for it. Be warned, if your lookin for ultra-low earth moving bass this amp is not for you. As already stated: TE heads a rather mid-rangey.

adam montminy likes this.
  4. bent23

bent23 Guest

Jan 3, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    Oysterman,

The Trace Elliot I'm purchasing is an AH600SM- which is the 7 band EQ (GP7) from the early-mid '90s. I did get it for quite a steal- $395.00 to be exact. I think it's the SMX GP12 SMX Heads that have the new GP12X 12 Band EQ preamp and dual band compressor. Anyway, I hope you're right about the estimatated (like my GW Bush impersonation?) power output, as I wouldn't have purchased it otherwise. The seller claims it's a 600 watt, but I'll find out soon enough I guess, I'm waiting on a reply from Trace Elliot's Costumer Service.

bent23

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Aah, okay, then I suppose it is only a more powerful version of my AH300SM. The amp you're looking at *should* be around 600W (maybe not exactly 600, but not far from). I bought my head as new old stock for around 5500 SEK ($530), so I still want to believe you're getting a great deal here.

But (as always) try before buy, if possible. If not, you could always walk into a store and play an (older) AHx00SMC or (newer) AHx00-7 and see what you think, as the cheaper TE models practically have the same sound, just different features.

6. bent23

bent23 Guest

Jan 3, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    I'm curious as to what cabinets (8ohm) one might recommend for use with the AH600SM. I currently own a ADA Bassline XV (2X10/2X5) 250watts/8ohms. I am considering a 15" or perhaps a 2X15 but no particular brands yet. I would like one that will emphasize low end growl, as I have heard from some that Trace Elliot heads tend toward a mid-rangey tone.
    Also, what EQ settings might one suggest to attain a less slap bass/more thick dub tone or smooth, warm woody/jazz tone on the GP7 preamp?
    I am also in the market for a new bass ($250-$450 range). Preferably fretless w/active pickups, but not mandatory. I'm playing with an Ashbory right now (my first bass which I received for Christmas) and I love the sound, but I think I might benefit from a full length scale (especially since I'm still learning the basics)