Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot All tube V-type

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Mar 12, 2006.

1. I just picked one up today! Awesome! Phat and Slapable!!!
    Definatley a long time keeper. Deep!

But I do have a couple of questions, seeing as how there's not allot of info about these out there.

At the back on the speaker outs, I have one 1/4 inch out and a XLR out! What the hecks up with the XLR out?

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    IIRC, on the V series it is a speaker out. Trace used XLR's for speaker connections for some years. My QuatraValve has it and my 1524 and 1518 cabs have it as well. Hope that helps.

BTW, your V doesn't exist till we see pics! :p

3. Trace has the speaker conector as standard same as mine SMX. I think they are there before Spekon time.

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Trace used them for a long time after Speakons came out. The V series was made up till the end of the Gibson era of Trace. It is kinda weird that they didn't use them on the SMX series though. :confused:

5. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    First off great amp purchase, we need some pics though. ;) Is it the Green Tolexed or Green Carpeted version?

The XLR was really the primary connection meant to be used on that amp because of its higher current rating than the 1/4''. The 1/4'' about was moreso intended to power Trace's brightbox or some smaller speaker cab for a little more highend.

Trace even mention's in the manual for your amp that they recommended using XLR to main cab and if you had another cab attach that in paralell with another XLR fromt the first cab.

But in practicality I've seen people just use the 1/4'' out into whatever cab...

However, I have this amp and I prefer to use speaker cables that I made especially for the XLR connection. You can't just walk into a store and buy XLR to 1/4'' because they virtually don't exist. My cable that I made to run the XLR from my V-type into my Schroeder is an XLR to Speakon which I find ideal for my situation and best signal transfer. Feel free to ask if you want for tips on how I made these because there's some special things you have to take into consideration or else it won't work.

Also, you can even "modernize" your XLR connection to speakon, but I know how to do this, but I wouldn't recommend it... Feel free to ask why if you if you are interested.

6. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    There's a decent reason why the British used this connection based on funny laws in Europe about signal transfer using 1/4''. But as to why they kept using them after Speakon's I'm not sure...

But as the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Also, I believe there might have been a subliminal reason for keeping this connection. Basically, in order to get use the buyer to soley Trace cabs for their heads that just so happen to be one of the only cabs out there that have XLR connection capabilities and match up so "perfectly". :smug:

7. Congrats with the amp. My V8 also sports the XLR and the 1/4" speaker outputs. I use two cabinets in parallel; each output on the amp goes to a specific cabinet. I use regular jack/jack cable and another XLR/jack cable. Simple.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice score! Congrats. :)

9. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'd be interested in hearing the details about the XLR-1/4" cable... have thought about getting a cable built for my V6 and this could come in handy.

10. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    For my XLR to speakon connection that I made (or in your case to 1/4''), I used Mogami 14 awg 2 conductor speaker cable. Which is made to have the largest conductor size while still being small enough to fit the XLR. I bought it here from Performance Audio out of Utah. This is good stuff and has much better signal transfer than most thin speaker cable that isn't IMO very good for bass amplication. Why not just use larger cable llike 1/4 to 1/4 runs?

... Because the XLR is made for mic wire and such, not speaker so the wire has to be small enought that it actually fits in the connector. So a lot of good speaker wire won't work.

Then I used Neutrik connectors for the XLR and speakon. Also wiring the XLR can be tight with speaker cable, more so than mic cable, so paitience is key.

Another IMPORTANT thing is make sure the pins match up for the XLR connection. Pin 1 is ground and pin 2 is +ve (positive). This is stated in the V-type manual too. And I didn't use pin 3 either.

I hope this helped with people who are interested making XLR to 1/4'' or XLR to speakon connections for their Trace tube heads. Really IMO its much more ideal for these heads. :)

11. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    My Hexavalve is the same way. Curiously, I have two XLR speaker cables which were supplied with my Tech cabs. So, that hook-up is a no-brainer. This is surely a European thing of the 90's.

Why not replace the XLR with a Speak-on panel mount on the back of the amp? I can't believe it would cost a whole lot for that conversion, and it would certainly make the heads more easily connected with stock cabling. The only downside I could see is reducing vintage value to collectors. I'm personally not in this for collection reasons, but I am sensitive to overt re-construction, like routing out a '60 PBass for a J pup (yikes). But, I don't think this is in that league.

12. Mika

Mika Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    I replaced the XLR speaker out connector of a QuatraValve with a Speakon, and even though the screw holes were in the right place, the connector hole required a bit of enlargement for the Speakon to fit. I also understand the possible decrease in collector value, but the mod is something which will make your life and possibly the life of the future owner a lot easier.

13. OK here it is
    [​IMG]
    I hope this works.

Does anybody want to buy a peavey alphabass, I got it on the condition that I must sell my other amp, wife says :bag: What should I ask for it?

14. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Nice, that's a big jump in rig improvement right there. ;)

15. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    There is rivits where the XLR connection is and those need to taken out and the holes need to be resized to fit some screws in. Also, I believe you'd need a bigger hole to fit the speakon in...

But as I mentioned in the my first post in this thread, you can do this conversion. Personally though I think XLR is a plenty fine connection for speaker and I for me making cables to work with it is easier for me than resizing metal holes to do it.

16. Yea well I had a mesa m-pulse, that IMHO didn't sound as nice as the peavey alphabass. It's actually the only peavey amp I'd play, or maybe a classic 400. But yea, I'm really floored by the tone of this amp. I've always liked Brit guitar tones, now I like Brit bass tones too.

Does anybody know where to get a manual, or spec seets for this amp, I'm just curious?

17. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

That is what I had done to my Glockenklang HeartCore - less than $100 and I am a lot more comfortable with the speakons.

Dan K.

18. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Print/ download manual (pdf) here. The manaul has specs and such about the amp in it. Glad your diggin the tone.

19. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...I really don't think there's a difference in sound/tone/power between the XLR & 1/4" jacks. If you're using both to power 2 seperate cabs(that don't have extra jacks to daisy chain) than I could see it.
    Shane at British Audio also told me a while back that he doesn't reccommend using the XLR & not to use both jacks at the same time?
    If I had to use 2 outputs on my Trace heads(V-8 & VA400), I'd definetly convert the XLR's to Speakons(since I have so many already)...I still might...

~S~

20. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    One thing...DO NOT use microphone cables to connect your speakers via the XLR jacks. You MUST use specially made cables with proper speaker wire. Trace Elliot used to sell them, but you can make them yourself or have them made. I just use 1/4" cables with my stuff, because I'm too lazy to bother with the custom cables.