Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RJS, Jun 4, 2002.

1. RJS

RJS

May 12, 2002
    Could someone please help shed some light on these two TE combos:
    1210H SMX 4X10
    122H-12 2x10
    I know one is a 2X10 and the other a 4X10 and they both seem to have the GP12X preamp. I was expecting the 4X10 to be quite a bit more expensive, but it's not - so I'm wondering why. Does one have a better amp or speakers? The prices are very close between the two. Any info would help.

RJS

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi,

Both have the same preamp and power section. The only real difference is the speaker configuration.

Your choice should depend on what you prefer : 2x10 or 4x10. For the same price, I'd rather take the 4x10, but it's a matter of personal taste.

All the best,

3. RJS

RJS

May 12, 2002
    Normally I'd go for the 4X10 too, but the speaker set-up seems different. It looks like the 2X10 has two ports, and thge 4X10 none. They seem to be a different config to me, but there's no specs on Trace's web site on the speaker enclosures on the combo.
    I think the Speaker/Cab on the 2X10 is higher quality than on the 4X10...but I'm not sure. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

RJS

4. Personally, I'd go with the 122H Combo... you get all the features, PLUS portability. Save for a little longer and add another cab (later) for that "wall of sound" thing if you want... a 1x15 or 2x12 would really complement the 122H Combo... or add more 10's if you must. :D

I've always loved Trace gear... you won't go wrong with either amp.

5. Just doing a bit of reseach because I'm thinking of buying this 210 combo, and maybe off another guy a trace 18+10 cab, how much is the combo worth to me?

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The SMX series preamp (used in all SMX heads and combos) was the product of Trace Elliot engineers before the first buyout. Better quality IMO than the later Gibson era GP12X series (122H-12 2x10) of amps which were released in early 1999.

The Gibson era version does have some nice features that the original SMX series (which the "X" series is based on) doesn't have. It has the "harmonic emphasis" feature, a "valve drive" control to get some grit out of the preamp tube, and noise reduction. The standalone pre and the AH1000-12 even have midi capabilities.

Any hoo, the one thing for sure is the pre-Gibson stuff is considered "The Stuff" and commands normally higher prices. On a different note, a lot of the V-type series amps are Gibson era and people love them and pay the bucks. Go figure! :D

For me? I'd buy the 410!

7. the 4x10 does have ports btw; it's inbetween the red tape.
    the 4x10 combo will be older than the 2x10 - as i understand the circuler ports started to get used in TE's later years (96 onwards?).

the 4x10 will likely also have the custom celestian 32ohm drivers, whereas the 2x10 may well have the later used eminence drivers.

as far as choosing goes; i'd likely hit the 4x10; but it is heavy and bulky. :)

8. Damn you guys! This thread was made 3 years ago! I just bumped it to see how much a used 210 combo would go for because the owner doesn't know how much it's worth and neither do I.

9. hahahaha... oops. shoulda' started a new thread.

i'd say you could probably pick up a 2x10 combo for =<$300. :) just a rough guess.

10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Yep, should have started a new thread.

Like Microbass said probably in the $300-350 range.

11. Thanks dudes! Party time!!