Trace Elliot/Anyone has this????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drpepper99uk, May 23, 2005.

1. Drpepper99uk

Dec 31, 2004

After purchasing my GP12X I wanted to see if the luminescant display worked and it did for all about 2 secs and then it went off.However upon turning it off and then back on again some little parts on the top are visible in a very dark room but the rest is not.

What type of lighting does this amp use? Is it like small UV/Blacklight bulbs or something else? Are these available on the net to buy? Or is the main board itself that houses the 12 slider controls got bulbs soldered onto it?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'm not familiar with the Trace design, but for this application I imagine Trace used either cold cathodes or LEDs.
  3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The lighting used internally are LEDs. You can get the schematic for your preamp here: band/GP12X.pdf

LEDs just don't burn out like bulbs so there is more than likely a problem with the PCB somewhere. Get the schematic and take it to a tech so they can track down the problem.
  4. They use a blacklight bulb at the bottom of the faceplate. You can get a replacement from most DJ supply stores.
  5. Actually there might be some confusion about exactly which preamp you have. The later (and last) versions of the GP12, called the GP12X, used an electroluminescent display (utilizing LEDs apparently). You can tell if you have this version if there is a slider to control the brightness of the display. If there is no brightness slider then it will use a blacklight as PBG mentions.
  6. Drpepper99uk

Dec 31, 2004

This Pre-amp is called a GP12X and it was made in August 2000.Upon speaking to Gavin at GM audio service in Essex(England) he said that it uses LED's to light the front up and from looking at my pre-amp there's no slider at all as you mentioned.He also mentioned that there is no U.V(Blacklight) involved in lighting it up at all.

So can anybody else on here work this out?

7. Interesting... the GP12X manual does mention a slider either on the front or back, but as you know, this preamp was used in several amp models as well as standalone. Clearly you will want to grab the schematic from British Audio Service (that Kelly references above). Maybe if you get the schematic to Gavin at GM, he can work out a way to repair it for you. Fingers crossed.