1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trace Elliot bass combo question. Please help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jal75, May 10, 2018.

1. Jal75

Jal75

May 10, 2018
    United states
    Hows it going! Long time lurker first time poster.

I am having the hardest time finding much information about a certain Trace Elliot bass combo amp. A friend has a Trace Elliot GP7SM 250 and I like it a lot. I have found a couple people talking about them online but other than that, its like they don't exist. So, since I don't think I'll be able to find that exact one, I was wondering if you could suggest another Trace Elliot 4x10 combo? I know there are other GP series 4x10 combos and I've seen MKV's too. I just wanna make sure I'm not looking at the wrong ones.

Thanks!

-jal

Here is my friends amp:

Attached Files:

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    TE tone from a 1x15 combo/J bass was one of the best I've heard.

Btw, how much does that thing weigh? 95lbs? 100lbs?

What's your max budget?

Vertical 2x2x10 are the way to go these days.

3. Jal75

Jal75

May 10, 2018
    United states
    Thanks for the reply but im pretty stuck on this amp. I love the full range sound with the 4x10's. Id say it weighs about 85 lbs.

Thanks again!

4. Hey Jal, not sure of your location but it does appear that a lot of old school TE gear has dried up both sides of the UK & US. Doing a quick search there are some 4x10's out there. Having used the GP12SMX version of this combo when I first started I definitely prefer having a stack of individual parts now.

This also opens up your options for the head. The different SS amps all share the same power amps but vary with the preamp and you can have your pick of the bunch - SMC/SM/GPxxSMX and Series 6. My personal preference is the SMX as you can get the tones from all the different preamps by dealing out the valve stage and compressor; but you will have greater flexibility. Easier to pick out the parts as they come up on the market this way as well!

EDIT - I use a 2x10 and 15. I have the 300W GP12SMX amp, V4 tube amp (main head) and Elf for needs must. :)

Stumbo likes this.
  5. Got nuthin here.
    Just a welcome to TB. :thumbsup:

6. Jal75

Jal75

May 10, 2018
    United states
    Thanks microbass, I appreciate all the info. Do you know if there is a way to tell what year it is based on the logo or something?
    Thanks for the welcom Old Garage Bander :)

7. Yes/no... but serial number or looking inside are the only ways to actually date them. The Gibson era ones are very obvious having green buttons and a different layout.

Saw your post on Basschat - there’s a 500X +15 and bright box going really cheap in London on one of the Facebook groups of you are in the UK!

8. Jal75

Jal75

May 10, 2018
    United states
    thanks but im head over heels with the 4x10. i need that full range sound and im a stickler for combo amps.
    thanks again!

9. The 410 combos are hell heavy. How about getting onboard the vertical 210 stack train?

10. sonic 7

sonic 7

Aug 10, 2011
    Queens, N.Y.C.
    Not sure where you are located, but you would have better luck finding a separate head and cabinet. I would just check both Ebay and Reverb every couple of days for the next year or two. I know that sounds obsessive but that combo WILL come up for sale eventually you just have to stay in the game.

11. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Banned

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    The old Trace Elliot amps are in deed great, if you don't mind your amp being rather heavy.

I suggest one in the SM, SMX or Series 6 series.

Really anything pre Gibson and Peavey will be fine.

I got a combo in the SM series myself and am really happy with the tone it is delivering.

12. Jal75

Jal75

May 10, 2018
    United states
    So you dont suggest the GP or KMV series? Also, do you have a 4x10 combo?