1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TRACE ELLIOT bfc-4 footswitch work on AH300 -12 amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Harlequin NY, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Can anyone tell me if I can convert a trace elliot bfc-4 footswitch to work on a Trace AH300- 12 amp? It is not one of the amps listed for that foot switch but I wonder if I can rewire it to work. Thanks, Rob.

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I guess you could but would it really be worth it? You would have to figure out the wiring that you need and then put it together and in the end you have ruined a BFC controller. IIRC the BFC foot controller uses a DIN style plug where the one the AH300 uses is a stereo type 1/4" plug. Too much work for too little gain IMO.

Why not just get the one that is supposed to work with it? I see them pop up on Ebay regularly for $15-$25. Heck, give Shane a call at British Audio Service as they probably have one laying around they could sell you.

3. The input on the back of the AH300 is the same 8 pin din connector as on the AH500 that the BFC-4 is made for. The 1/4" jack is just for muting with a single switch. I can't find the matching pedal for my unit so I was willing to convert a BFC-4 if it will work? thanks, Rob.

4. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Hmm, I guess if you can't find one then it would be the only option. I'm sure it can be done but you will definately have to take your time with the wiring.

BTW, have you tried it with your amp yet to see what, if anything, it will do as it is already wired?

5. Yeah I might have to take a gamble and see if it can be done! Thanks for the response. Rob.

6. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Just wondering what you wanted to use the footswitch for? I own the same amp and I have NEVER used the footswitch. I never saw the need to adjust much of the tone controls on that head, besides the EQ a little here and there.

On most stages, its usually within 10 feet of me.

7. I guess it is more of a desire to see what it's like to have one. I keep looking at the plug in the back and saying hmmmm.
    I doubt I will ever see the right one for sale so I will have to figure something out. (unless you want to sell yours :atoz:)

8. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    There are actually a few uses for the footswitch. You can switch your EQ on/off for soloing, when using effects, or even to be almost like a mute switch (EQ bottomed out).

That said, I normally don't use mine.

9. I was able to find the schematic for the HA300 foot switch on the English Audio Service web site. Does anyone know where I might find the schematic for the BFC-4 foot switch? Thanks, Rob.
    Kelly, I forgot to answer your question- No I didn't try the BFC-4 on my amp because I don't have the foot switch yet. I also would be afraid that I might fry something if I plug the wrong one in?

10. I called British Audio Service and they were very nice but not able to help me in locating the right foot switch for the AH300. I tried Trace Elliot in America which is Peavey and they only deal with the newer models. British Audio told me to email Trace in Britain but I can't find an email for them on their site. They send you back to Peavey in the U.S.
    Anyone have an email for Trace in England? Thanks :crying:

11. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I posted it in your other thread but I'll post it here as well. te-info@trace-elliot.co.uk

12. Thank you brother! :hyper: