Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot buzzing...need help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 43% burnt, May 31, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    My Trace 7-band AH250 head is buzzing. I've narrowed it down to the amp or cabs. It starts as soon as i turn the power on. Its buzzing whether or not the mute is on, and wheter or not a bass is plugged in. The buzz does not go away when I start playing, or get worse when I stop. Its just a constant noise. Its not terribly loud, but it used to be silent. It doesn't get worse with more gain. The only variation i can get in the noise is when I turn up the level control on the back of my 2x10 cab..it gets a little wose. Anyone know what this could be??

I replaced speaker cables and intrument cord with brand new ones yesterday. I've unplugged my pedal board, as well as individually tested it with each effect. I've tried 2 different basses, both work fine on my practice amp. :confused: :help:

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Does this hum go away when you turn your tweeter completely off? I'm assuming you have a tweeter since you have a level control on your 210.

3. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    nope, it does get slightly better...but it's still there. It's not very loud. It doesnt affect my sound, and you proabaly cant hear it live, but its annoying.

4. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Just out of curiousity, is it in a room with flourescent lighting? Also, have you tried a different electrical outlet on another circuit? Have you tried the ground lift?

5. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    no flourecent lights & the ground lift did nothing. I tried a different outlet, no difference. However it on the same curcuit. I'll try running an extension cord to another room. But It was fine with the same outlet i'm using until just recently. weird.

6. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    OK, last things to try. Try your amp with EQ on and off, preshape on and off, etc. and see if any of those affect the sound.

7. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I tried that...no difference. BTW, thanks for the help :)

I've had enough for one night...I'm going to bed. Think I should bring it in for service?

8. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Yea, its probably time to have it looked at. Go to British Audio Service and download the schematic for it and take it with you. Good luck!