Trace Elliot BX-80

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FireBug, Oct 13, 2005.

1. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    I saw one of these with the center of the speaker blown out. Any information on these combos. How loud do they get? I am assuming they are 80 watts. Graphic EQ and volume on front panel.

Do you think it is worth 120 bucks?
  2. If it's in decent shape and has the Series 6 preamp, it's worth twice that. By the time the Series 7 pre came about, Trace's QC sucked...a later model I had was awful. Are you sure the center of the speaker is damaged, or maybe the dust cap fell off?
    I gigged with one for while; it was loud for its' size, projected pretty well, and sounded good as long as the band covered up its' awful midrange frequencies. Read my review here:
  3. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Well the cap in the center was missing and there was a circle with a diameter of about 1/2 inch that I could see all the way into. There were no cut/boost knobs on this amp. Just the graphic EQ.
  4. Say the speaker is fried--there's a Trace Eminence on the 'Bay now for $40--you'd still get a brick of an amp for $160. It sounds like a Series 6; the only thing more reliable in that price range is an '80s Peavey. You make the call.
  5. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

that size it is dandy. I bought one with the thought of I needed a phiscally small amp to fit in my sons bedroom and that I would use the direct out when gigging. I was pleasently suprised and it sounds great to me.
    It was my non Ampeg bass amp purchase since 1972. So it was my step towards a more modern sound. fortunetly for me it is as close as I need to get. I can get 90% or so of a portaflex sound and more note definition if needed. I really kinda dig Trace Elliot amps, but as a past girlfriend clearly Stated, I am not a modern man. Our last date was coming to a quick close at that point.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.