Trace Elliot BX-80

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FireBug, Oct 13, 2005.

1. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    I saw one of these with the center of the speaker blown out. Any information on these combos. How loud do they get? I am assuming they are 80 watts. Graphic EQ and volume on front panel.

Do you think it is worth 120 bucks?

2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    If it's in decent shape and has the Series 6 preamp, it's worth twice that. By the time the Series 7 pre came about, Trace's QC sucked...a later model I had was awful. Are you sure the center of the speaker is damaged, or maybe the dust cap fell off?
    I gigged with one for while; it was loud for its' size, projected pretty well, and sounded good as long as the band covered up its' awful midrange frequencies. Read my review here:
    http://www.bgra.net/2004/review.php?id=135&type=combo

3. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Well the cap in the center was missing and there was a circle with a diameter of about 1/2 inch that I could see all the way into. There were no cut/boost knobs on this amp. Just the graphic EQ.

4. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Say the speaker is fried--there's a Trace Eminence on the 'Bay now for $40--you'd still get a brick of an amp for $160. It sounds like a Series 6; the only thing more reliable in that price range is an '80s Peavey. You make the call.

5. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

that size it is dandy. I bought one with the thought of I needed a phiscally small amp to fit in my sons bedroom and that I would use the direct out when gigging. I was pleasently suprised and it sounds great to me.
    It was my non Ampeg bass amp purchase since 1972. So it was my step towards a more modern sound. fortunetly for me it is as close as I need to get. I can get 90% or so of a portaflex sound and more note definition if needed. I really kinda dig Trace Elliot amps, but as a past girlfriend clearly Stated, I am not a modern man. Our last date was coming to a quick close at that point.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.