Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot cabinet ports.... so what do YOU use to seal them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by N*Joy, Oct 25, 2005.

1. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    The chances of stumbling accross a pair of the original port plugs are slim to none. So.... what are all you trace owners out there using to plug up those ports?!?!

If you're wondering why - I have an Ampeg V4 which should be back from the shop shortly and a series 6 Trace Cab with a 15" + 10" speakers (EV's!), and would like to experiment with the cab sealed.

2. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    You can use test plugs designed for 4" drain pipes. The ones I have are two plastic discs with a rubber seal that can be expanded by tightening a wing nut on a bolt that compresses the two halves together. You should be able to find them at any plumbing supply house or home center.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    What's the diameter of the ports on the Trace? I ask because I think I have two "port plugs" from my old Trace Elliot 2x10 lying around. The cab is long gone, but I'm pretty sure I saw the ports in my garage not long ago. If they're the right size, you can have them.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'm not sure if it is still the case, but when I was using a Trace combo a few years ago, I called Gibson and they sent me some port plugs. Maybe they have some left.

5. Can anyone find that thread that had the info about blocking the ports on your trace, something about the change in frequency response?

Thanks.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    All you need to know is that blocking one port lowers the tuning frequency of the cab.

Say for example it's tuned to 55Hz with both ports functioning and it's -3dB at 60Hz, -10dB at 40Hz. Blocking one port will result in something like a tuning of 45Hz, a -3dB goes up to 70Hz, but -10dB point goes down to say 35Hz.

The lower tuning freq can also help if you're having trouble with your speaker hitting X-max (farting) on the low notes.

Blocking both ports = a sealed cab with all it's advantages and disadvantages.

7. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Pete - many thanks for the kind offer, I'm pretty sure that the trace ports were all a standard size (I've had a few cabs of various ages and sizes but never even thought to try tuning!) but I can double check next weekend. I'll try ringing Gibson/Trace here first though!

Excellent suggestion on the plumbing supplies.