1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trace Elliot cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flongoid, Apr 17, 2010.

1. I'm looking at buying a used Trace Elliot cab - specifically, a Trace Elliot 1248H (4x12")
    A lot of places I see reviews etc saying things like "this really has the Trace Elliot tone!" but I have absolutely no idea what the Trace Elliot tone is.
    Would anyone mind explaining?

Furthermore, anyone who has owned one of these cabs have any opinions? I play J's mainly, and I guess I like rock/hardcore tones. So that's the kind of thing i'm looking for.

Thanks in advance! :smug:

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Every manufacturer has it's own flavor. (except those who copy others designs) To understand the sometimes subtle differences, you need to play with various makes. In this case, that cab will more than likely make you happy, it's good quality gear, and a 412 is a monster bass cab.

3. I've been to several shows where the bass player was using Trace Elliot gear, but the bass was inaudible at all of them, so I must conclude the answer to your question is: silence.

4. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    The Trace Elliot tone can't be explained, it can only be experienced. ;)

I've never owned one, but played through a Trace stack (big, loud head with 1x15 and 4x10 cabs) quite a bit at rehearsal studio with a blues/rock band I was in a loooong time ago. It does have it's own unique tone (warm, colored?, slightly dark?) that I personally liked very much with fingerstyle and slap playing. I'm not a pick player so can't comment on that.

However, I'd guess that a lot of that tone comes from the Trace amp itself, IDK if one of their cabs with a different amp would provide the same or similar sound.

5. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    A signature Trace cab sound? I'd think it'd mostly boil down to particular driver(s) used. I've got two Trace cabs, both came loaded with Celestion drivers.