Trace Elliot Closing out???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CaracasBass, Jun 4, 2002.

1. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Is it true that Trace Elliot is closing out...... I mean: Out of bussines???

Just curious!!!:confused:
  2. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Yeah, Ive heard Gibson bought them out but it fell through or something. Its pretty likely that Trace is going out of business now.

BTW it should say "Layne Staley" in your signature and not "Layne Stanley" ;)
  3. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    You´r rigth!!!!! :eek: :eek:
  4. As far as I know Gibson bought them a couple of years ago. THey have now shut their UK manufacturing operation, and I believe that Gibson are trying to transfer all Trace Elliot manufacture to a facility in the US!

This may make TE stuff more affordable on your side of the pond - but I shudder to think what it could do to the quality of the products and the prestige of the brand!

Watch this space I guess!
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, looks like Gibson is killing another brand.
  6. Mike Burduck

Mike Burduck

May 21, 2002

It sure doesn't look good for Trace. I recently switched to Ashdown, but not because my Trace amp was bad. I was just blown away by the Ashdown.

My Trace amp is one of the loudest, best sounding amps I've ever had. (AHM350SMX 12-band with a TE 2x10 w/horn and the large TE 1X15.) It's a pre-Gibson (Gibson took them over a few years ago), and it's really neat. I'll be selling it, but only because I've fallen in love with Ashdown and don't need two main amps!

7. Ironically, I have also partially made the move to Ashdown! I was looking for a portable and reasonably loud practice/small gig amp in the 100-150watt range to complement my Trace rig (AH500 with TE 4 x 10 and 1 x 15 cabinets) which is only 9 months old!

My local shop had the Ashdown Electric Bluie 15 combo in stock and after trying, I left the shop with it. When I come to replacing my rig, Ashdown will definitely be in the running!

I think it might be partly to do with the fact that the Owner/CEO of Ashdown I believe was one of the Trace Elliot designers, so the sound is kinda familiar. I believe the sound he went for with Ashdown was a sort of cross between Trace and Ampeg! Anyway up I like the Ashdown sound!

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Mark Gooday of Ashdown is the Original owner and founder of Trace Elliot.
  9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Well, Johnny, it's not as if we don't know how to make bass amps over here, is it? Who knows, the prestige and quality might even go up.;)
  10. I wonder how much influence it has when famous bass players endorse particular brands?

Mark King used to use Trace Elliot and he was very prominent in their advertisments. He's now an Ashdown man.
  11. Mike Burduck

Mike Burduck

May 21, 2002

Indeed, Mark Gooday is the brain behind Ashdown, and he was indeed once at Trace.

I love that description of the Ashdown sound, Johnny--a cross between Trace and Ampeg. You've hit the nail on the head!

Take care,