Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot combo - did you say tone shaping??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr Bassman, Jan 22, 2001.

1. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    UK
    I bought a Tracke Elliot 7215SMC some months back and am fairly happy with it in all respects bar 1...

Despite loads of people telling me that they are really flexible in terms of tone shaping, I have managed to get slap bass, or slap bass...or you can play with the eq for another half hour and still get slap bass (by slap bass I mean high & low boosted, mid cut[smiley face]).

Normally this would be OK but with my Hartke amp I could get what seemed to be a much greater variation of tone with much less effort.

2 differences between this amp and the hartke though (bar the obvious)

1. the hartke was going through a 4x10 but the TE is a 1x15 combo.

2. the hartke had a 10 band eq.

Ideally I'd like to be able to get a Jaco P sound, and a growly tone in addition to the slap bass.

Am I just a complete pleb or has anyone else found this? Also does anyone know how to achieve the above with this amp?

thanx in advance - Niggy

2. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I recently tried a TE 7210H (2*10" + horn). I think the preamp (GP7) is the same ?
    With pre shape out, some EQ twiking (both on bass and amp), some compressor twiking, I managed to get some kind of smooth, mellow not "slap" sound.
    But I must admit it was more difficult to get this sound than to get a slap sound.

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have borrowed various TE 1x15 combos, I like em but they are difficult to set up. I have a Hartke 1415 which is instant; set it flat and go. Just presevere with it and note down the 'correct' setting. Try getting a friend to play your bass (subject to having bassplaying mates) and tweak the graphic until you are happy.

4. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    UK
    Thanx guys, I will try some of your suggestions. I had a play around with it today and had a bit more luck but still not exactly what I was looking for. - maybe I need a tube preamp - but I dont think I'm gonna go spending more of my hard earned on stuff I'm only gonna use 4/5 times a month...anyway, some of the best stuff happens through not having the absolute best stuff. I'll keep on tryin.

later - Niggy