Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot compressor vs. EBS Multicomp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by snap42, Apr 18, 2005.

1. snap42

snap42

Aug 26, 2003
    The Trace pedal has low and high compression which is useful. Is this feauture on the EBS? I've heard good stuff about the EBS; how does it work compared to the TE?

2. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I never did quite find the low/high compression on the Trace very useful, though others seem to love it. On the other hand, I like the Multicomp though found it a little noisy. The multi-band feature of the Multicomp is controlled by an internal trimpot: default is at 12 o'clock, but by rotating the trim, you can have it compress more lows or highs, if memory serves me correctly. Seems to work well enough, but I generally used the Multicomp in tube emulation mode, thought it sounded better.

3. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Yeah me too, I use the EBS in tube mode as well. I can't tell anything about the Trace, but with the EBS you won't do yourself any harm. ;)

It sounds very warm and powerfull, but I don't agree with the former writer that it is noisy. Perhaps an issue of the adapter (balanced or not) or some electrical circuits. (Tube Light or just wires in the room) I don't know either how these could induce some buzzing in pedals, but this is the only way I know to 'solve' it.

On the other hand is it possible that the gain setting is too high, which will give you more noise if you compress a lot and compensate for it by turning up the gain a lot. But that's alos dependent of your bass and the noise it gives imho.

(I doubted too long for the comp... just buy it! ;) )

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I love my Trace, and seeing as how it cost me about 1/8 what the Multicomp goes for, I won't be trying the EBS one out anytime soon. I do hear the high/low thing and it helps keep my active basses in line.