Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot do's and don'ts and whatnot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PhatBoi5, Jul 19, 2004.

1. I just bought an old trace rig (ah600 head/410 and 118 cabs) and i was looking for some pros and cons, do's and don'ts etc about this cab, i.e. don't push it hard, tube side sounds good or bad, muddy low end, too sizzly up top and so forth and so on.

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I don't think there is anything bad you can say about a TE rig! I know the AH600 is an awesome head and so are the 410 cabs. I have never had the pleasure of the 118 cab :crying: The only thing I would say is be careful, that rig will be loud as he!! :bassist: Lets look at the Pros:
    Underated power wise
    Classic Trace Elliot sound
    Built like a friggin tank
    Looks awesome with the blacklight
    Plenty of tone shaping features
    Was one of the worlds top bass amps for many years

Cons: Hmm...lets see
    Built like a friggin tank, LOL!
    Some say you are stuck with that "Trace" sound (not true)
    The 410 cab I know is also really heavy

I absolutely love Trace Elliot equipment.
    Ofcourse, I'm a little biased! :D

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Well, technically, you should ask for pros and cons before buying it. :p

I'm a trace fan as well and I dig their stuff. I do think that you are "stuck" with the Trace sound, however, and that it isn't necessarily suitable for certain genres, such as jazz. It's a very rock-oriented vibe and I think that's due mainly to the power amp section. I say that because I have 2 Trace power amps and, even though I've used a variety of power amps with them, they still maintain a trademark Trace tone.

I've also owned an AH200 as well as an AH600 head and all possess the same basic Trace tone.

4. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Tony Levin has been using Trace Elliot for quite a while with King Crmson and his other projects.He uses them live and in the studio from what I understand. So,the can't be too bad!

5. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Congrats! Im a big trace fan as well. I would love to find a gp12 smx pre amp. I have that head and like its tone.

6. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Congrats! You've just bought a great rig. That's nothing you can't do now.

7. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    My little gp7130 Combo with a 15" speaker seems very small by comparison but I too am a big Trace Elliot supporter.

However, I do have a small problem with mine...

.. it occasionally makes a "farting" sound, I have had it checked out in a shop for loose connections and what-not, but they found nothing wrong with it (built like a tank see) does anyone here have any ideas what could be ailing my Baby Trace?

8. I DID play it. I am looking for the hidden flaws and/or underrated things about it

9. any biamp suggestions? or where I can get a manual?

10. You're probably playing it too loud. I know it sucks to hear, but reproducing low frequencies takes a lot of power, and when you reach the upper limit of that power (no more headroom) your power amp will clip and produce farting.

Check your EQ. The frequencies from 30 hz to 60 hz really take the majority of your power to push, so if you cut those even a little bit, you'll gain some headroom. I've noticed boosting around 240 hz adds thump, and kicking 80 hz a bit gives a nice underlying low end.

If you're competing with a couple of guitar players, or just one loud one, you're 1x15 with MAYBE 200 watts probably doesn't cut it without a little farting.

Biamping, As far as I know, there's no crossover on the Trace. You need a crossover to bi-amp, and if you don't have one on the head you need an external one. When I had a trace rig, I used the head to power my 4x10 full range, then sent my headphone out or preamp out to another power amp which had a low-pass filter for the low end. Your 4x10 will do pretty good full range, but the 18 might sound flubby trying to do anything above 2 khz. Combining the 4x10 and 1x18 all the time should be great without biamping. That IS what your amp was designed to do anyway.

11. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England

I will try this but, it does this without my Bass plugged in as well... :confused:

12. Sounds like a bad connection from your power section to your speaker. Is there a 'cord' that sticks out of the cabinet that you have to plug into the 'head' section of your combo? That's how my 4x10 was. If so, the connection of that plug into your head might be dirty. You may need to clean the contact points of that jack. Alcohol and a Q-tip should clean any gunk off of it. (turn the amp off first)

Other than that, maybe the solder points on your speaker itself are loose. Other than that, from your voice coil to the back of your speaker cone are two wires...sometimes these rattle against the cone, causing a similar sound.

It's all about troubleshooting. Eliminating possibilities until a solution is found.

13. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Go here and get a online manual. Its a PDF.

14. I used to have an AH600SMX witha 1048H and an 1153, it was one of the best rigs i ever owned. I play in a soul band, 10 peice so as u can imagine its loud on stage. I never had the volume past 2, theyre a meag amp, u cant really go wrong. I play Vtype now but there is no questioning SMX rigs.

15. I had an AH400 which started making a farting noise above a certain volume. It turned out to be a blown output transistor which was causing square wave clipping.

The first time I had it checked out, the dealer didn't find anything wrong. The fault only became apparent when he tested it with the volume turned up.

Maybe this is the problem you have.

16. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    Thanks for all your suggestions guys after going through the entire Amp with an Electrical engineer friend of mine (Useful people to know) we actually narrowed it down to the cable where it is stuck down coming through the Cabinet.

Fixed it and it now sounds superb.

Now all I need is a Box to trun the Amp in the Combo into an Amp Head at will so I can run it through a 2x15 Cab I recently came into Possesion of when the situation warrants- any Ideas? :D

And thanks again for all the help.

17. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Congrats on your new rig! I have had a couple of Trace Elliot rigs! They are fantastic!

My last rig was an AH500 (newer one) and a 4 x 10 with horn and a a 1x15 (1048H anf 1518 cabs).

Pros - just about everything about them!

Cons - being built like a tank helps it weigh a ton!

Due to a back problem....I had to get rid of mine for something else.......found the Ashdown ABM500 with Mini48 and Mini15 cabs does the job for me....and doesn't kill my back! :)

Enjoy :bassist: