Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot electro display/spares from?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 8va, Jul 25, 2004.

1. 8va

8va

Jul 16, 2004
    Just wondered if anyone knows where I might obtain a Trace Elliot
    Electro Lum. display? Am also looking circuit diagram for 7215 combo.
    tia

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Are talking about the light to light up the face of the amp like the AH series of heads? If so, the only thing I can recommend is your typical flourescent blacklight with either 12" or 18" bulb length. I bought my 18" from a fleamarket vendor who sells new blacklight bulbs, posters, and such. You can also check with some music (CD,cassette type) stores and with head shops.

If thats not what your looking for, tell me more.

3. 8va

8va

Jul 16, 2004
    Yes that's the thing I mean. As you say, some of the newer TE's have elecroluminecent (sp) displays that look great and are a big help seeing things in the gloom :)
    Somewhere on the TE (gibson) website it says that these displays are both inexpensive and easy to change! Trouble is, I can't see one for sale anywhere! As a poor second idea I thought to use one of those cold-cathode lamps they sell for PC illumination - BUT they have a built-in inverter and that *may* just introduce electrical noise into the amp (I haven't tried it yet).

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    You could try www.gmaudio.co.uk

They do servicing as well as selling spares.

There is another company based in the US - I've lost the link to unfortunately. However, it was posted by allan grossman (you can usually find him on www.ebassist.com and sometimes on harmony central bass forum) you might wanna PM him as I'm sure they did the UV tubes!

Edit - got the link off of Allan Grossman for the US dealer:-

www.britishaudioservice.com

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The problem is the 7215 combo, as far as I know, never had the blacklight option. The light was actually built into the stand alone heads such as the AH600SMX. The rack mount versions, such as the RAH600SMX, never came with the light and none (IIRC) of the combos.

All the *electro-luminescent* light is a common garden variety flourescent blacklight. Its nothing special. I too have looked at the cold- cathode lights as a possibility. Getting the right color is the only problem I have found with them. I wouldn't think the noise would be too much of a problem. The standard light, like I said, is just a flourescent bulb which are known for putting off a lot of noise. It doesn't seem to affect my RAH350SMX. Its as clean with or without it and I get the cool Trace look!

6. The blacklight was most common on Trace amps and is probably what you're referring to. The last SS models (such as AH-1000SMX and AH-500SMX) actually did have electroluminescent front panels, which is different.