1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trace Elliot Elf advice or opinions please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VFB58, Apr 7, 2019.

1. I bought the 2x8 speaker and the Elf amp. Small and light and just loud enough for the big band I play in.

Anyone have experience with the Trace Elliot Transit B Bass Guitar Preamp Pedal ?

I’m also thinking about getting the 10” elf to use together with the 2x8.

I’m mostly using the BSX EUB.
    The Metro Swing Band has 5 saxes, 3 trumpets , 3 trombones, piano, guitar and drums. The drummer can be a little loud at times (surprise).

I either tilt the 2x8 cabinet or raise it up on a small table so I can hear better and play in tune better.

I have to almost max it out to keep up at the band’s loudest, but as of yet I haven’t reached the point of distortion. I still have a little headroom.

I want to know if adding the 10” Elf speaker would give help at louder gigs or if the Transit B would make a difference.

2. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Well adding the Trace 10" would make it louder, by virtue of unleashing the full 200Watt power of the amp into a 4 Ohm load, and by increasing the total loudspeaker surface area.

But I've no idea if the 10" and the 8" loaded cabinets are designed / intended to be paired together - they're certainly not designed to stack together, interlocking.

Ideally, get another Trace 2x8 cab, which will not only deliver the full amp power, it will also make the whole stack taller (and thereby louder, being closer to your ears), and physically stable, without changing the tone in an unpredictable way.

The Transit B seems kind of redundant if you're plugging it into an ELF amp (if there were an FX loop on the ELF, then it would it would make for a more useful pairing).

The Transit B could make it easier for you to hear yourself, by virtue of having more midrange EQ control, a dual band compressor, and the ability to add harmonic distortion - but it won't add more power / make you louder, like a second 2x8 cab would.

Zbysek, GreyMark, Aqualung60 and 6 others like this.
  3. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    Get another 2x8 Elf cab.

Zbysek, tombowlus, GreyMark and 6 others like this.
  4. Thanks for your informed an knowledgeable answer!

I did read a post about someone who used a 2x8 and 10 together with good sonic results, but You made a very good case for using a second 2x8.

As for the transit b. I can live without the extra gear on the floor. It looks interesting and I’ve read posts with high praise but it’s probably not the best choice for my next upgrade based on your input.

Thanks again.
    Vernon

Wood and Wire likes this.
  5. Are you familiar with Trace Elliot Elf?
    I think you might be right about getting another 2x8. I was hoping you heard something that informed your advice.
    Thanks

Red Planet likes this.
  6. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    I think the Transit B is a very appealing device - but I'd be more inclined to use it to add some Trace flavour to another manufacturers amp, or as the front end for a dedicated power amp / powered speakers.

My only reservation with regards to using it with the ELF (beyond slightly defeating the purpose of having such a compact system in the first place, in addition to doubling up on some of the existing features on the ELF, and also not being the most effective solution to your particular question) is that you can't bypass the EQ of the ELF, and the flat setting isn't necessarily obvious.

If you were to just set the tone controls at 12 O'clock, you're getting a less extreme version of the classic Trace Elliot pre-shape (definitely not a flat response).

If you plugged the Transit B in, you're doubling up on the Trace tone, and potentially doubling up on pre-amp compression, if you're not careful.

However, if you fully get to grips with the ELF & 4x8 stack, the Transit B could be a worthwhile addition / enhancement, as it has the classic Trace pre-shape available, as well as the more comprehensive EQ, not to mention all the other features.

VFB58 likes this.
  7. P
    Once again, a great answer to my question. How did you gain such educated experience with Trace Elliot gear? Thanks again Wood and Fire, whoever you are.

Wood and Wire likes this.
  8. Knobs noon on the Elf is quite similar to the traditional Trace preshape by reputation. Wide low mid bass boost, upper mid cut, treble boost.

If you are happy with the tone you are getting now you will be VERY happy with another 2x8 to complete the stack. You will probably cut some bass EQ on account of the big bass coupling of twin cabs. Or just enjoy bigboy bass.

9. Wood and Wire. You have convinced me to get another 2x8 when I upgrade. The Transit B isn’t really needed. I get your point about defeating the purpose of going light. I’ll use one speaker as often as I can get away with it. Cheers and party on.
    I love the tone I’m getting. Thanks for confirming the dual 2x8 idea. Even though I’m trying to go small, two of these are still really small.

Zbysek and Wood and Wire like this.
  10. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I would get the 2nd 2x8 cab. 4 8 inch speakers should be loud enough.

Zbysek and VFB58 like this.
  11. I want MORE. Even though I wanna go small.

12. The Elf 8" drivers put out like regular 10" drivers. You are already getting more for less.

Zbysek and VFB58 like this.
  13. Loving it. No regrets for going small.

14. How do you know this? I’m not disagreeing, but what evidence do you have?

15. What people reported in the big old Elf thread. Same or OEM similar Faital drivers in the Crazy88 cab.

16. I am new to Talkbass. Good to know. Thanks

17. I haven't read it all, but still I have an excellent advice :)
    1. read this and make sure, before adding new boxes, that your ELF won't burn. If your 2x8" is already 4ohm (check it out in the box manual), it is using full 200W of your ELF, and you can't add more boxes.
    2. experiment with placement of your box. I play DB in bigband, using 8" box pointed 'at the band', 6" pointed at me, and 350W@4ohm TC BH250 head, volume knob in the middle or a little to the right. My volume limit is given by feedback, but with careful placement of the boxes me and the band are able to hear the bass nicely.
    3. I'm using preamp (Sansamp para driver), which I'd describe as cultivating the sound to be more easy hearable and more easy amplificable. I use it all the time. I guess any good preamp will add crucial decibells to your volume, more effectively than a new box. Try before you buy... you can't lose.

18. jleguy

jleguy Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    Its only a 2x8 and you are playing with a full band with horns and loud drums. Expectations should be tempered. Try adding a preamp before the amp for a bit more oomph, even though your BSX has one onboard. Alternatively, the addition of another Trace 2x8 makes sense too as suggested above, in a linear array, one on top of the other in a stack. An added 1x10 will work too but I think the linear array effect will give more volume from two 2x8s stacked.

VFB58 likes this.
  19. MartinB

MartinB

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham, UK
    From the Elf manual:

(3) SIGNAL LED
    When the LED is green, the instrument signal is passing through the preamp without any compression. When the LED begins to flash red, more and more compression is occuring in the preamp as the GAIN control is advanced. The compressor also tracks changes made to the EQ; therefore, an increase in an EQ setting will require a decrease in the GAIN setting to maintain the same amount of compression.When the GAIN control is at maximum clockwise rotation, a musically useful overdrive distortion circuit is engaged. Reduce the VOLUME accordingly when using this setting.

I've never seen a red light. With the Elf gain control at 12:00 and a passive bass, I get mostly no light, and the occasional flash of green. Turning up the gain, or boosting the signal from the bass, I get more green. Cranking either right up, I get amber - and there's audible clipping.
    The amp sounds good with gain at 12:00; I've got no problem with it. I'm just wondering if this is the same for everyone else.

20. Martin, I’ve never clipped or spiked red on the led. I’ve also never read the manual. I guess I should have. That was useful information.