1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trace Elliot Elf advice or opinions please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VFB58, Apr 7, 2019.

1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I heard that elf has some baked in EQ thing happening. Is that so?

Red Planet likes this.
  2. MartinB

MartinB

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham, UK
    Thanks! I've just realised that I actually meant to post this in the main Elf thread :facepalm: - I'll see if the folks over there have had the same experience.

It's a relatively gentle mid-scoop / bass & treble boost - with controls at 12:00, it's along the lines of:
    TE Elf flat 2.PNG

3. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Thanks!
    Do you know of a more 'honest amp' in this or a similar weight/size bracket?

4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

All depends on the amp and cabs.

Mike League (of Snarky Puppy fame) often performs with a MarkBass New York 804 (4x8) and a MarkBass Standard 104HF (4x10) with good results.

5. DonBorelli

DonBorelli

Feb 1, 2009
    Whatever it is, it sounds fantastic and works great in a mix. I usually just leave everything at 12 o'clock

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    MartinB and BOOG like this.
  6. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Even though I have not played through the 2x8 cabs, I have heard them, and I think you are smart going with the second identical cab. You are on the doorstep of greatness with that.

Versatility is the flavor of the day, and by doing so you can tailor your rig to the job at hand. The second description I use behind small and lightweight when talking about the ELF amp is versatile. While its selling point is it's size, it's great sounding preamp is what truly carries its (lack of) weight. The preamp and D.I. are the bomb. Need a pedal board-mounted preamp/DI for an ampless gig? The ELF delivers. Need a Preamp for Direct studio recording? A Fly Rig you can put in your carry on bag? Yep, it can do that as well. It can power micro rigs that weigh as much as some basses and can be carried with one hand, or can power other cabs as well. Need a big amp for a show in an amphitheater? Just run the DI into a poweramp, and throw 3000 watts at cabs using the ELF tone. Run four of the 2x8 cabs through a power amp with the ELF as the preamp, and that would smoke 90% of the rigs made, all while fitting in a smart car. It's a great time to be a bassist.

While you think you are getting a small amp and cabs, you really have one of the most versitile amps systems made. I could honestly run every rig in every situation I have based on the mighty (small) ELF.

BOOG and Morrighan like this.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I'll echo......get another 2x8 cab.

BOOG and Morrighan like this.
  8. Wow. You should be in sales. I’m sold. Thanks.

9. MartinB

MartinB

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham, UK
    There are comparable amps (TC Electronic BAM200, GK MB200 spring to mind), but I would imagine they are similarly voiced for bass. And at such a small size, there's usually no FX loop that you can use to bypass the pre-amp.
    It sounds like you need some sort of micro power-amp - I'm not sure what's available.

10. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    Yes very familiar.

VFB58 likes this.
  11. Good to know. I appreciate your input. I have learned so much with this post. Everyone has been great. Thanks

Red Planet likes this.
  12. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    Yes its made to sound like a Trace Elliot of olden days baked in and its freakin delicious.

MartinB and VFB58 like this.
  13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Do you know something of the same size and power, without that baked in sound( which I never was a fan of.)?

14. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I was curious and did a search for “small bass amp” and it looks like TC Electronic came out with a similar sized model.

cnltb likes this.
  15. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Any good?

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

TC Electronic and GK have similar tiny amps with 200w. The GK went up in price though. Better be careful. Will price themselves out of the competition. There are a handful of amps (with more power, larger size though) priced below the GK. SMDH!

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/bas...profileCountryCode=US&profileCurrencyCode=USD

cnltb likes this.
  17. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Nah, complete rubbish!

j/k... I have no idea and will probably never know, either. I love the elf and everything about it including, the ‘baked in’ tone. For the purpose of the elf and other similarly designed amps my needs, wants and desires are all taken care of and my GAS is cured.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

18. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    What I fattened is basically what i think on most TE amps i ever tried, hence the question.
    I'll need to spend some time with Elf and the competition , I guess. :)

19. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Yes, it would help. Adding another 2x8 would be even better.

I don't think Transit B would make significant difference.

If you have troubles hearing yourselve, consider getting Phil Jones Ear Box. That's what I use to be able play in tune.

Note: I don't raise my cab-I leave on the floor because it has more lows that way...

20. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    The OP has TE 2x8 box which is 8 ohms...