1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trace Elliot ELF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grrg63, Jan 19, 2017.

1. You have to keep Elf from the booze.

[ Top cooling vent ]

2. One guy got a DOA from the dealer.

Another guy put 240v up his US model and smoked it.

Apart from that, a few didn't like the sound. Be aware it won't push air quite like your Ashdown can.

3. RobinG

RobinG Gold Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2007
    Washington State
    The edges of a larger amp are not there, but it has been working for me! I played a gig last weekend with a new Bass, and as I've said, the gain is everything! On the amp I was clipping, but it sounded a bit different as I raised the gain past the LED clipping indicator. Just like any TE Amp.. it requires a bit of exploration to find your sweet spot, but it's there!
    Robin

Red Planet likes this.
  4. DonBorelli

DonBorelli

Feb 1, 2009
    Thanks for the replies.

Looks like I already found a buyer for the Ashdown, so I will probably place my order today.
    Luckily I am blessed to play with a drummer
    who has a somewhat gentle touch...and I don't play super loud rock music anymore. Period.
    So it seems like the Elf fits the bill. Another thing I noticed by watching the reviews on Youtube: the tone! It is a bright amp...but the highs sound very sweet and musical.
    The sound is definitely right up my alley.

Red Planet and ctmullins like this.
  5. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    Hey All!
    Has anyone played the ELF through a Hartke Hydrive HD112? I really dig the sound of the KB112 and thought that maybe the ELF/Hartke cab combo would be cool. Any ideas or experience? Plus the Hartke cab can do 4ohm and 8ohm.

Red Planet and Acoustic356 like this.
  6. Acoustic356

Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I have done it... sounds killer!

Red Planet likes this.
  7. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    Thanks! Would you go with a Hartke head or would you go this combination? Or....would you just go with the Elf and the 1x10? Thanks!

8. Acoustic356

Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I had the Elf with the Trace 110 designed for the elf. IMHO, there was too much mid range due to the lack of a tweeter.

I also owned the Hartke TX-600. These are two very different heads.

The Hartke is obviously bigger, has more tonal options... both are solid. Both work well with the Hartke. You can't go wrong with either... you just need to decide what is more important to you.

I also thought the Elf was louder than the TX-600...

9. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    All, if you were to buy the ELF with either the 2x8 to 1x10 only, which would you buy? This is mainly for home use for practice and for use with a drummer. I have a Fender P, a Fender J and a Spector EuroXL. I currently have a Fender Rumble 500 combo that is just too muddy. Yes, I have tried EQing to some success, but just not getting the more HIFI sound I want. Thanks!

bobicidal and Red Planet like this.
  10. Mr. Business

Mr. Business Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I’d say the 2x8. The 110 is a great super light grab and go cab for acoustic/low volume stuff, but I don’t see it keeping up with a drummer.

11. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I have not heard the 110. I did have a chance to play through the elf head and 2x8 in the store. At the time I already had the head and was trying to make the same decision. Due to the fact that I heard and liked the 2x8 and the reputation of the Faital drivers and the written and video reviews I went with it. I am not disappointed. I think it’s probably going to worth the extra change over the 110.

12. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Btw...all of my bass’s have different pickups and strings and all of them sound terrific through the elf.

13. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Talking Rock GA
    OEM Manufacturing Supplier
    The better choice might be two of the 1x10s. I git the head and the 2x8 cab. It sound really good.

Keep in mind the amp sounds really good but it will go into protect mode with a hard spike running on a 4 ohm load.

14. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    :wideyed::nailbiting:

15. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Talking Rock GA
    No joke this seems to be a fairly common complaint about this amp. I'm thinking about contacting PV and asking them what's up.

16. Simple case of wrong tool for the job of keeping up with screaming guitar stacks.

17. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Talking Rock GA
    Well I should say as a disclaimer that's only when I'm just going nuts I can indeed shut that amp down at will by hitting a note on the hard side. But on the other side of the fence of this subject the two times I've used this thing on a small gig I've been asked to turn down so there you go.

ReviveBass likes this.
  18. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    Thanks all. Has anyone tried both cabs together? I know that mixing speaker sizes is a no no, but just curious. I think I may go with the 2x8. I really can't believe how good this setup is. I need to pull the trigger already! I heard MF may have a 20% coupon coming for Memorial Day.

Red Planet likes this.
  19. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    Only on TB. Well, no ... especially on TB.

20. Barticus

Barticus Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2017
    NEOhio
    I heard you shouldn’t ‘mix’ them you should always 'fold' them that way you don’t bruise them - oh wait, I might be confusing speakers with baking? :)

I think @BigDrew is referring to ohms? Maybe?...

I 'mix' 8s, 10s, 12s with the Elf - but all are 8ohm cabs, when paired you get 4ohms which drives the Elf @200w. So my sl112 & my Elf 2x8 sound great together.