1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trace Elliot ELF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grrg63, Jan 19, 2017.

1. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    Used my Elf out for the first time last Saturday for a 3-setter along with a High Pass Filter I just received into a low-end Genz Benz 112. No FoH for bass. Small club, holds 30-40 max.

This currently replaces a GK-400RB-III being fed by an Alembic F1-X preamp into a GK Neo 112-II

to be honest, once the band launched, I really didn't notice it sounding any different than my regular setup
    it got pretty warm, as I imagine it should
    no problems

\m/

psyched =)

1 trip in. 1 trip out.
    HA!

Microbass, Red Planet, RobinG and 4 others like this.
  2. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    Thanks for the report!

grinx likes this.
  3. Buzter

Buzter

Oct 23, 2009
    Played one through an ampeg 1540he today. Sounded very big. Even at low volume. I will have it soon.

Plutonium244 likes this.
  4. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    I just pulled the trigger yesterday and will use it for the first time tonight. Will report my experience...

grinx likes this.
  5. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    I love the amp! ELF was able to deliver enough power to keep up with drums even though I was using only very small cabinet with 6' speaker at 8ohm. And the sound guy said that the line was excellent. ELF is a keeper.

RobinG, grinx and Barticus like this.
  6. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    IMG_1550[1].JPG

Attached Files:

RobinG and Barticus like this.
  7. DonBorelli

DonBorelli

Feb 1, 2009
    Another happy camper here.
    First rehearsel with my Elf. Cabinet is a non-brand 4ohm 2x12 with Eminence Basslites speakers.
    It was a trio setup with a drummer and a guitar player/singer who was using a small (but very powerful) Tweed amp.
    I played my hybrid jazz bass with a precision neck.
    The amp was plenty loud - I only had the volume 9'o clock and my sound was big and articulate.
    Favoring the bridge pickup the sound was very nice and detailed - later I settled for a big fat sound, soloing the neck pickup.
    I've heard reports of the Elf being inherently bright and modern sounding in general.
    I thought the Elf also excelled at doing the big, fat, warm thing.

All in all very happy with my new amp. It sounds great - and it's tiny!

RobinG, grinx and Barticus like this.
  8. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    I apprecite your reports, guys!

Zbysek likes this.
  9. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    Are you in CR?
    I love your little cabinet, went to their site and sadly discovered the only location is in Prague.
    Please share details/feedback of your 6" wonder.

Yeah, I said that.

Zbysek likes this.
  10. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    I just found out about the Elf amp and cabs a couple of days ago, due to a bulging disc in my back I can't lift anything over 20 lbs and these look like a godsend! After much research the only solution was the Barefaced 1x10 at 16 lbs. , expensive and I would need 2 of them for my needs, but the Elf being the same weight and less costly and paired with the amp seems to be the perfect match for my back as I have no gig worthy amp at the moment. Does anybody know what the cabinet is made from to be such a lightweight enclosure, is it wood or some other material? Jim

Zbysek likes this.
  11. The Trace Elliot 1x10 weighs in at 16.2 pounds. No clue how it compares to the Barefaced One 10, having heard neither in person.

Zbysek, jim nolte and Son of Wobble like this.
  12. Acoustic356

Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    If bass player magazine is to be believed, it is Plywood.

Review: Trace Elliot Transit-B Preamp, Elf Head, 2x8 and 1x10

jim nolte likes this.
  13. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Different plywoods have different densities/weights. The traditional birch is about the densest - with oakum core on the other end of the spectrum. Poplar is in between somewhere. Dunno if any "real" cab builders are using anything else these days?

jim nolte likes this.
  14. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Talking Rock GA
    OEM Manufacturing Supplier

I recently disassembled my Elf 2x8 cab and it is indeed made out of plywood and coated with a Duratex type finish. I really like this cab, it will take much more power than the Elf head can put out. I converted my 2x8 Elf from 8 ohms to 4 ohms and am powering it with a GK MB500 Fusion. This setup will get fairly loud. I still have the Elf head but reserve it for very small gigs. There is a 50-100 seat gig I plan on using the Elf head at soon.

Zbysek likes this.
  15. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Yes, I am. I am the first customer who asked for the 6micro to be built. They made it part of their standard production line after... I love the cabinet. There is BC speaker inside. It's the lightest cabinet which I have ever used (4kg) and it sounds better than number of bigger cabinets. The sound is articulate with sufficient bass frequencies. I am sure the company would be able to ship overseas...- the guy behind it is very flexible and helpful. Let me know in case you need any help.

Last edited: May 21, 2018 at 11:09 AM
    grinx likes this.
  16. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    @grinx: the Soundelirium builder's TB handle is @Nook.

Do you happen to remember which model exactly?

17. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    I don't remember, unfortunatelly...

HaphAsSard likes this.
  18. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    Used the same setup as last week on this past Friday night. Another 3-setter.
    At the beginning of the second set, I had no sound. There was no Gain light but the Vol light was on (the one on the right)
    Settings were Gain (roughly 8 o clock) and Vol (roughly 9 o clock). It was sorta dark on stage, maybe someone moved my Gain knob to 0 between sets? Not sure.
    I bumped the Gain up and it started working again and worked fine the rest of the night.

I'll keep bringing a spare amp until I can get 2 gigs in a row with no issues

19. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    That might be the explanation. I have experienced that the knobs turn easily and I had to adjust them after they were turned by accident in a bag or by things being moved around them...

grinx likes this.
  20. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    agreed on knobs move too smoothly (who complains about that?)
    it needs notches or detents or more resistance
    maybe some sneezed at Elf and.....

Zbysek likes this.