1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trace Elliot ELF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grrg63, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Less with the hyperbole. Using words like most takes opinion to another place. It's an unhappy place.

Sure TB is a microcosm but it is a varied collection representative of the full spectrum from seasoned professionals to bedroom heroes. Some folks have tried an Elf, found it wanting and reported that as fact. The difference is they didn't opine that most would suffer the same fate.

Count Bassie and Daniel Piper like this.
  2. I think I have only ever seen one Lackland but zero Elf amps.

3. green eyes too.

JGbassman and StatesideRambler like this.
  4. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    Wow.

Artman likes this.
  5. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Stage Rig.

Concert
    Stage Rig

9DFEA914-6DDC-43F2-B460-59EAEA677397.

Medium-sized venue rig.

E74D2546-917B-4304-837B-B107ED0CC23C.

A8263E4E-B6FA-48C3-B784-D0405B348942.

Bar or club rig

43386539-6682-47AE-B58A-64782495E7C1.

Yes I do know the difference between the two, and use the rig I feel most suited to the job. In a small bar the Elf system gets used far more often than not, because it works great.

I love Trace gear, and always thought it was killer. I had some old trace iron back in the day and it was solid.

These are just a sampling of the rigs I have that I use for various jobs, so I definitely know the difference of all shapes, sizes, and brands of bass gear. I have played live most of my life, toured with national recording artists, and have spent years trying different live rigs, and know what I’m talking about. I choose and back the elf system because I have real world gigging experience with it and I try and spread the word. It’s perfect for the small bars it’s intended to be used in. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t use it.

No I’m not sponsored by anyone, nor do I want to be. I don’t need it. All the comments I make are driven by my personal experience, not to keep a sponsorship happy.

Trace is good stuff, no one disputes that. Is there a place for 500-2000 watt amps? Yes there is or they wouldn’t sell. Would I like to see new trace gear? Yes. But would it sell? I don’t know.

I think the new elf gear/mindset will eventually catch up and we will see more in clubs once more people see it live and used properly. I’ve blown away many hearing it for the first time, where they come to me wanting to know more.

I’m not dissing you, if you don’t think it’s a good fit for you that’s ok. It’s not my only rig, but it’s one of my favorites.

Peace.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Done plenty of gigs using this. 125w.
    XPF6S13.
    And this. 125w
    Sgj1Xi1.
    And this. 250w (Cab is 4ohms)
    FEdEs7K.
    And this. 125w.
    Qsm3Zjh.
    I have a 1000w rack rig if I need it.
    2APEBR1.

7. Amp to cab: "The power of Snoopy compels you!"

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Snoopy used to go with me every gig. I need to find him.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  9. BeRad

BeRad

Mar 13, 2018
  10. JGbassman

May 31, 2011

Fred lives! (And plays bass)

Nice little video.

Microbass and Count Bassie like this.
  11. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    I’ve gotta find a place to test drive these.

12. BeRad

BeRad

Mar 13, 2018
    Fred!

Prices?
    When will they be available?

Count Bassie likes this.
  13. JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Practicing tonight using the elf to power an acoustic 810 cab. Monster sound. Mini amp.

2388827B-8214-44AE-A6E7-579D84AF575A.

bassdrummer, Artman, fretno and 8 others like this.
  14. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Those big cabs with the little elf on top looks like this:

1633b.

15. Those combos look much more practical and useful than the TC 2x8 combo. If they existed when I bought the 208, I would have picked one of these instead.

JGbassman and Count Bassie like this.
  16. 8DF32D2A-C697-4677-A663-CADBF8707713. Had the elf for a few months now, got it as a backup. But I find I’m going for it often as my main amp as I love the tone, everything set at noon on the front dials. I really like the compression that kicks in when it’s pushed hard, nice fat tone.

JGbassman, Artman, Zbysek and 4 others like this.
  17. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Vertical 3x8!!

Zbysek and grinx like this.
  18. We’ve recorded a Double A which was just me and the Elf DI’d and no cab. Sounds great!

The DI is super clean and with the gain cranked to around 4 o’clock I had a nice warm grit. Looking forward to getting these mastered, first time we’re getting theee done professionally!

19. GreyMark

GreyMark

Jun 22, 2018
    I am a very simple fellow. I really just wanted the easiest way possible to connect four of the 1 x 10's to something. Now, perhaps, I want a 6 x 10. :)

Zbysek and nonohmic like this.
  20. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    My li'l booger...

20180908_150549.

DIY 210, 4 ohms. The "Club" Club.